U12s return to league action

WEDNESDAY night saw a return to league action for the wee men of Slane verses Killowen and what a game it was.

As both sides started brightly with some great play from both teams Slane struck first when Davis played a pin point pass to Cochrane. He raced through to make it 1-0 after five minutes.

Slane were unlucky not to go further again with Malcolmson and Davis bossing the midfield and shot from Malcolmson well saved by the keeper, from the corner Trimble had his shot cleared off the line and as a result Killowen broke free and raced up the line and their shot was well saved from Kinley in nets.

With five minutes to go Killowen got the break they were after when a slip from in the Slane defence left 2-1 on the keeper and after a strong save Kinley could only watch as the striker tucked in the rebound

Second half Slane took the lead again when after some great work in midfield sucked the defence out. Megaw found a gap and raced in and sent the keeper the wrong way.

Slane continued to take the game to Killowen pushing for their third and after a mistake at the back allowed Killowen in to equalize with five minutes to go Slane thought they had thrown away the three points.

But with minutes remaining Slane pushed forward and Jamie Cochrane, making his debut, hit the post. Davis’ shot from the rebound was saved well by the keeper everyone thought it was over.

Davis whipped in the corner and the referee was about to blow his whistle the ball broke free for Jamie who stabbed it into the open net to score his first ever goal.

This was an outstanding game for both teams to take part in and it was only the second time Killowen have tasted defeat this season

Well done to everyone involved.

Player of the match went to Jordy Davis playmaker all night

- Slane took on local rivals Rathfriland on Saturday looking to build on great form recently.

Slane were on the back foot from the start allowing Rathfriland to play in front of them without putting pressure on the ball and soon found themselves one down.

They showed signs after that they were getting back into the game after some quick play found them in behind Rathfriland only for keeper to beat Cochrane to ball. Rathfriland scored two more before the break.

In the second half Slane found themselves further behind early after more silly mistakes.

Finally this seem to waken Slane up and pushed on by Davis and Moorhead who between them set Davis clear and his shot was hit straight at the keeper.

Davis then got his goal after twisting and turning his way around most of the Rathfriland team played a one two with Moorhead and this time picked his spot and it hit the post and into the net.

This was to be in vain was Rathfriland scored three more before full time.

Slane were poor today and in truth the score line flatter Rathfriland but they will be eager to put things right in their next game.