Town under 10s score 11 goals in three games

Banbridge Town Under 10s attended the IFA’s festival day in Newry on Saturday, scoring 11 goals in three games.

Adam Hamilton and Harry Annett netted four goals each as the side bagged impressive 4-0 and 4-1 victories before conceding two late goals to lose their final match 5-3.

In the first game, the Town went a goal ahead when Josh Kerr scored from close range after Patrick McGrath squared the ball on the edge of the box. Lee Whitten made a great goal-saving challenge before McGrath himself fired in a fantastic angled shot to double the lead. Alex Innocenzi also shaved the crossbar with a smashing shot before Harry Annett increased their advantage even further with a clinical finish.

Annett soon bagged a second and completed the 4-0 rout, netting from close range after a great determined run and pull back into the penalty area by Josh Kerr.

In the second fixture, Banbridge took the lead when Adam Hamilton showed the defender a clean pair of heels to side-foot past the keeper. At the other end, Bobby Jones made two great tackles to deny a strong striker while defender Ryan Meira dashed forward and clipped the post. Taylor Hill went close with a long range dipping shot before Hamilton got his second with a follow up from close range after the ball had rebounded off the goalkeeper. He completed his hat-trick with another low finish after being set up by Meira. The opposition then pulled one back before Harry Annett completed the 4-1 score-line by clipping a shot above the keeper’s outstretched hand for his third goal of the afternoon.

In the final game, against a very good side, Town played some very good football with some great defending from front to back. The opposition offered good offensive play with Bobby Jones, Alex Innocenzi and Ryan Meira protecting goalkeeper Toby Jones, who showed great hands on more than one occasion to keep out the threat of the other side.

Banbridge went a goal behind but then replied through Adam Hamilton’s fourth goal of the afternoon. He scored with a great shot after hitting the crossbar shortly before. A further two goals by the opposition saw them go 3-1 ahead but Harry Annett closed the gap to one as Hamilton squared to him and he hit the net with a well taken left foot shot. Hamilton then pulled his side level with a high shot into the roof of the net but in a topsy-truvy game, Town were just as soon two goals behind again as the opposition took a 5-3 lead.

Patrick McGrath showed great determination in the last few minutes while Josh Kerr was also strong in the tackle but, for Town, the game ended with a two goal deficit against a very good side.

Overall, it was a great day for the boys with all ten of the squad playing their part in three great performances and they will no doubt have learnt from the experience.