Slane left to rue missed chances

MONEYSLANE’S first team travelled to Portadown last Saturday to play Seagoe in the league and had to settle for a point in a game where they could and should have sealed all three points.

Two minutes in Kerr broke through mid-field with a surging run, floated the ball to the back post and Gibson had his shot charged down and the rebound was hammered inches over the top.

Davenport lobbed the ball over the top to Gibson who had his shot well saved and pushed around the post for a corner; the ball was swung into the danger zone and cleared as far as Davenport who hit well but the keeper was well positioned to save.

Lockhart squared to G Bingham and he released Gibson with just the keeper to beat but again his effort was brilliantly saved to deny Slane the opener.

Cochrane was a tower of strength in the middle of the park winning all the heavy tussles and he found Bingham who again released Gibson, this time he fired in his shot around the keeper and he could only watch his effort rebound of the post and the danger was cleared.

With 15 minutes gone Slane should have been two goals to the better but could have been 1-0 down if the big striker had connected better with his header from a free kick but it glanced wide of the target.

Bingham brought the ball down and controlled well with his chest and parted wide to Gibson who raced up the line and floated in a dangerous cross that was headed just over by Whitten from close range.

Cochrane spread the ball wide to Whitten who raced to the bye line and squared back to Gibson on the edge of the penalty area but he roofed his effort over the bar.

Right from the whistle the home side broke upfield but Fry was well positioned to save for Slane.

Gibson was played in over the top but again the keeper denied him a goal with a good save.

Five minutes in the home side got the opening goal when they broke up the right and penetrated the solid Slane defence and the ball was floated into the six yard box and the centre forward was first to react and head home.

This was a good wake up call for Slane and the upped their game and on the hour Lockhart curled a free kick from twenty five yards out into the top corner for a wonder strike to draw the game level.

N Bingham released Whitten wide on the left and he found Dickson who was playing well on his debut for the first team but his effort was well blocked. Whitten also had an effort well charged down as Slane pushed for the winner.

Time was running out and in the last minute Whitten was played in on goal but the last defender hauled him the ground and was given his marching orders, Whitten had the free kick well saved and the follow up by N Bingham was also saved and pushed around the post for a corner. The corner was swung into the crowded penalty area but the keeper punched clear and the final whistle sounded.

Final score 1-1

Overall a poor performance on the day in front of goal for Slane who should have taken all three points in this one. Best on the day for Slane was Robbie Weir at right back who a solid game.