Seconds record first win since January

A tussle for possession during South Seconds' game with Bangor.
A tussle for possession during South Seconds' game with Bangor.
Share this article

SOUTH recorded their first win since January in their penultimate fixture of the season at Laurelhill.

In last season’s corresponding fixture South secured their Junior 2 status after John Semple inspired them to victory over the Seasiders.

Saturday’s game held no such pressure, with league status already secured, but the Lisburn side were keen to arrest a run of form which had seen them drop perilously close to relegation.

After victory in Bangor last week the away side began well and scored from their first short corner after a melee in front of goal. South responded immediately with Craig Campbell weaving his way past two Bangor defenders to finish into the near post.

South were not able to capitalise, though, and were pushed back by a strong Bangor midfield, their defence proved capable though of dealing with most threats.

Against the run of play South took the lead when Paddy Cochrane threw a spectacular aerial ball from his own area deep into the Bangor half. Mark Conn was able to exploit the space at the byline and cut the ball back for Neil Wilson to finish well from the top of the circle.

South began the second half 2-1 up but were quickly pegged back after a crashed ball to the near post was finished by an on rushing Bangor forward, leaving Alexander helpless in goal.

Bangor could not press him their advantage though, and South began to dominate the game. After another fine run from Campbell, Conn gave the home team the lead with an excellent strike through the keepers legs.

South were unlucky not to extend their lead after Stewart Bittle, who had another commanding performance in midfield, had several shots saved from short corners.

It looked as though Bangor might have taken a share of the spoils when they equalised after a defensive mix-up with less than 10 minutes to play but Conn again had the last word after a close range finish at the end of the game.

Thanks to Willie Redpath (Snr) and Gordon McCandless for umpiring.