Seconds fall to dominant Lisnagarvey side

BANN Seconds entertained Lisnagarvey seconds at in the top of the table clash knowing a win would give them a clear advantage in the league.

Bann were without Jonny McKee who had been called up into the first squad with Matthew Warnock taking his place.

The game got off to a quick start with both sides probing for opportunities however neither side were able to take advantage.

Short corners were also exchanged with both keepers managing to save well. Half way through the first half Malcolmson cut in from the right hand side of the pitch and squared the ball to McCraken who slapped the ball past the Garvey keeper to give Bann the lead.

Garvey got straight back into the game when after the ball wasn’t probably controlled by a Bann defender a Garvey forward picked it up and fired the ball past O’Neill.

Both sides continued to press forward and Stergeon and Woods both wasted good opportunities towards the end of the first half.

Garvey started the second half strongly with Bann unable to get into any rhythm. O’Neill did well to keep out a couple of early short corners and open play shots. Woods was causing the Garvey defence lots of problems and after eliminating a couple of players found McAnulty who drove the ball into the Garvey goal to give Bann the lead against the run of play.

Bann were struggling to get the ball out of the back and Garvey drew level after a good move allowed a Garvey forward to find himself free in the circle to despatch the ball past O’Neill.

Garvey continued to control the game and pressed forward knowing they required to win the match to get back into league contention. Garvey scored what proved to be the winner with a strong reverse stick shot that went through O’Neills legs. Bann did have opportunities to draw level when Woods hit the bar and McAnulty failed to connect with a good cross but were also fortunate not to concede on a couple of occasions.

Bann are still in a strong position in the league but know they require to improve when they travel down to Cork next Saturday to take on Cork Church of Ireland in the quarter finals of the Irish Junior Cup. The match starts at 3pm at Garryduff in Cork.