Rathfriland Rangers end the season in style

Share this article


Rathfriland Rangers made the long journey to Bangor Rangers on Saturday for their last game of the 2011/12 season and after the ninety minutes came away with the three points in a comprehensive 5 – 1 win. Rathfriland actually went a goal down as early as the 5th minute when the Bangor striker took advantage of a loose ball and tip toed his way through to curl a long range shot into the roof of the net. The visitors however were soon back on track when Wilson was fouled inside the box and the same player picked himself up to thump the ball past the `keeper to level the scores at 1 – 1. Paul Brown then made it 2 – 1 after good industry inside the box allowed him to clip the ball over the Bangor `keeper. Bangor then thumped the crossbar with a thunderous drive but Wilson soon made it 3 – 1 when he twisted and turned this way and that on the edge of the eighteen and slotted the ball low into the bottom corner. Ryan Evans was always a thorn in the side of the Bangor left back with himself, Beck, Ward and Brown all going close again before the break but the halftime scoreline remained 3 – 1 to Rathfriland.

The second half was only seconds old when Ally Beck put the visitors 4 – 1 up with a neatly taken shot. Scott Ward and Glenn Waddell also went close for Rathfriland but the home side did continue to threaten on the break particularly through their lively No 11. The evergreen Paul Gibbons was solid in his central midfield holding role with an accomplished performance alongside Scott Ward who made it 5 - 1 with a close range finish with ten minutes remaining.

Overall this was an excellent performance from Rathfriland in their last game of the season and once they got their first goal their was only one team in it.

Team: David Wilton, Simon McWilliams, Glenn Waddell, Aaron Marks, Paul Walsh, Paul Gibbons, Scott Ward, Ryan Evans, Paul Brown, Ally Beck, Ally Wilson.

Subs: Andrew Bell, Joe Toal, Brian Adair.