Rangers’ fine form continues at Lisanally

BANBRIDGE Rangers travelled to Armagh on Saturday afternoon to take on Lisanally Rangers and took home all three points to make it five wins out of the last six games.

After last week’s disapointing second half performance at home to Dollingstown the Gers were looking to make an immediate response and take the the game to Lisanally.

In the opening 20 minutes Banbridge Rangers had the majority of possession and territory and were rarely fazed at the back with Chambers and Gregg looking focused and composed.

On 24 minutes the opening goal arrived for Banbridge Rangers when Ryan Gregg fizzed a ball into the feet of Matty McKnight who skilfully flicked the ball first time into the path of midfield runner Mark Wilton who went clear off the last defender before dinking the ball over the Lisanally keeper.

Banbridge Rangers big threat was coming down the left hand side through the ever impressive Jason Gourley who continued to create a series off chances for the Rangers front men in a dominant first half display.

With eight minutes until half time the referee bottled a big call when McKnight side stepped the last defender 20 yards out when bearing down on goal and was hauled down. The free kick was awarded but the referee produced only a yellow card in a clear mis interpretation of the laws of the game and Wilton was unable to find the net from the resultant dead ball.

Colin Cousins came closest to doubling the advantage before half time when he went sent a shot high towards the top corner but it arrowed over the wrong side off the bar.

At half time Lisanally should have been well out of sight but with only a goal between the sides they were always within reach off turning it around. This appeared to be the case when some neat football after only two minutes saw their striker slot past Blevins to level the game.

Banbridge Rangers had to respond well and they did so 10 minutes later when Cousins regained the lead for the Gers sidefooting home a low cross from Jason Gourley who found his way to the byline after some neat interchanging with full back Peter Dean.

Lisanally kept battling and a Bruce flick on just aftert he hour mark wasnt dealt with convincingly and Dobbs was able to take advantage and slid the ball in for a second equaliser.

The Armagh side had the wind in their sails and should have taken the lead after heading a corner goalwards but it was cleared off the line by McMinn.

Rangers made two changes with Hodgett and McLarty replacing Weir and Dean for the last 20 minutes off the game.

With little or no fluency in the game it looked like a draw was on the cards but with nine minutes to go the hard working Gourley saw an opportunity to close down a back pass to the keeper who then tried to side step the Gers striker only to be dispossessed leaving Gourley to tap home the eventual winner.

Matthew McCrum came on to make his debut for Rangers first team after impressing with the Reserves and helped shore up the defence and secure three more points to remain in third position in Intermediate A.

This was another spirited win for Banbridge Rangers who are getting to grips with the Division and will be looking to make it 18 points out of a possible 21 since January when they host Blackers Mill at Cheney Park on Friday evening with kick off at 8.15pm.