Paul moves in front in the Quinn Cup

THIS week saw the first instalment of the Quinn Cup, a 10mile time trial on the Lurgan Road with the next in the series being later in the season.

On the night 15 competitors turned up to show their sorts with the on form Paul Carlisle posting the fastest time of the night with a 24:41, proving that his training and open racing this season is paying off. Kevin McAlinden posted a very strong 24:41 followed by super vet Phil Beattie with a 25:40, both guys bringing back good form and a tan from a recent training trip to Majorca.

You will see below the target and actual times the target times are set up on a handicap system which is used to give points towards the Banbridge Cycling Club League - as you will see the very consistent Paul Anderson smashed his target time of 31:34 by 38 seconds to top the board and take full points on the night.

Quinn Cup 10 Mile TT 15/05/2013

Target Actual Time (Diff) Pos

Paul Anderson 00:31:34 00:30:56 -0.38 1

Paul Carlisle 00:25:14 00:24:54 -0.20 2

Terry Mackin 00:27:04 00:26:46 -0.18 3

Ewan Anderson 00:27:07 00:26:54 -0.13 4

Phil Beattie 00:25:39 00:25:40 0.01 5

Dan Purdy 00:26:17 00:26:21 0.04 6

David Lavery 00:28:48 00:28:54 0.06 7

Feda Brown 00:28:58 00:29:17 0.19 8

Chris McCann 00:28:25 00:28:46 0.21 9

Kevin McAlinden 00:24:41 00:25:02 0.21 10

Stevie Lavery 00:29:07 00:29:45 0.28 11

Stevie O Hagan 00:27:38 00:28:07 0.29 12

Ciaran Magill 00:28:24 00:28:59 0.35 13

Chris Burns 00:28:06 00:28:51 0.45 14

Andy Beattie 00:29:06 00:37:58 8.37 15

- In what could only be described as horrendous conditions only half of those who had pre-entered signed on for the second stage in the A4 Rás Loughgiel promoted by Duffin Transport and sponsored by Clinivet.

Although Banbridge’s Paul Carlisle brushed the conditions aside to take an excellent sixth in the second stage time trial, putting him in contention for the overall going into the final hilly third stage, with torrential rain and strong winds the conditions were awful.

The riders battled on and two riders broke away on the mountain and were not to be caught. Paul ended up finishing with the chasing bunch which left him in 10th place overall in the final general classification, a fine effort with his first stage race and it will stand by him in future races. Well done from all in the club.