‘Spla’ inspires
Millpark to end trophy drought

Davy Glover who was presented with the man of the match award.
Davy Glover who was presented with the man of the match award.

Millpark finally scratched an itch that had been getting ever more irritating in the 14 years since their glorious Junior Cup win in 1999.

Although this was a very slightly lower key occasion, the T20 Shield Final was the first really big game for many of the Millpark XI.

Charlie McCrum and vice-captain Davy Glover opened the batting. They made good progress from the off, Glover in particularly hitting the ball cleanly down the ground. He perished for a belligerent 37.

Keith Dempster kept up the momentum, scoring quickly as McCrum also upped the ante. McCrum was out for 35 with the score on 116, with Ben Talbot following without troubling the scorers.

James Wright marched to the wicket full of intent and wasted no time in taking up the cudgels. He immediately set about the beleaguered Ards attack, as Dempster’s excellent effort ended when he was out for 24.

Wright used his strength and timing to great effect. Over number 19 went for 16 as Wright got his eye in and the final six balls disappeared for 22 runs as Millpark finished on an imposing 157-4.

The ever economical Darrell Martin and Zaheer Ali opened the bowling and restricted the Ards openers to 23 runs from the first five overs. Martin took the first wicket and returned figures of 1-12 from his three overs, while Ali finished with 0-23 from four. Davy Glover took a miserly 3-18, while James Wright backed up his impressive batting with 3-22. Charlie McCrum pitched in with 1-21.

The wickets fell at regular intervals, and in truth this match was over long before the final wicket fell with the score on 110.

This was a comprehensive victory that was well deserved by captain Jason Maxwell and his players. At the award following awards ceremony, the skipper captured the mood of the club.

First XI scorer Kenneth Smith collected his medal, and the 13th medal was collected in memory of Laurence Bramall, the captain who had lifted high the Junior Cup those 14 years ago.