McRoberts and Watson fire in fastest time right at the death

editorial image

Last Wednesday evening saw the 3rd and final round of the Banbridge CC Mac Up 2-Up TT competition.

In an attempt to improve safety there was a change to the usual Banbridge-Gilford- Scarva-Banbrigde circuit, eliminating the busy Gilford village.

Riders instead took on a testing 15 mile circuit starting on the Rathfriland Road and passing through Anaclone, Mays Corner, Katesbridge and back in the Castlewellan Road to once again finish in Banbridge.

Again, the weather was not in their favour but at least the rain had stopped for the 34 riders who had signed up to fight it out in the final round of the cup.

With John Fegan and Martin Fitzpatrick off in one of the early groups it was up the them to catch the two other teams in front of them.

They set the benchmark with a great time of 40:50, one that would remain until Phil Beattie and Joe Penny beat the 40 minute mark with a 39:47.

Jon Sheppard and Stevie Fitzimmons just missed out on a sub 42 minute time as a result of Stevie missing a gear up Anaclone climb losing contact with Jon at a crucial point or the race.

Team Hannon/Graham were home next with a blinding time of 39:02, the two men working well together in the final round.

Was team Kendall/Graham going to be fastest this week again? Almost, but they couldn’t quite keep setting the fastest time every week and it was team Stewart/McBride who beat them by a slender 20 seconds with a 38:10.

Many predicted that would be the fastest time of the night, but there were still two very strong teams to come in; McKee/Buller and McRoberts/Watson.

McKee/Buller set a new fastest time of 37.06, shaving more than a minute off the benchmark, but were quickly knocked off the top spot by McRoberts/Watson who flew in with a remarkable 36.08.

Thanks to the marshals and time keeping team for such great help.

Next week is the start of individual 10TT on the Rathfriland Road. First rider off 7pm sharp