Liggett delivers a late winner for Bann Fourths

Nathan Liggett netted a late winner for Bann Fourths on Saturday. INBL1607-211PB
Nathan Liggett netted a late winner for Bann Fourths on Saturday. INBL1607-211PB

Nathan Liggett was the hero for Banbridge Fourths on Saturday.

Liggett hit a late winner as his Edina-sponsored side saw off an experienced Mossley Fourths 4-3 at Havelock Park in the Junior Shield.

Bann had to come from behind three times during an action-packed first half as Gary Dean converted a double while Adam Marshall was also on target.

The Banbridge team consisted of Adam Crawford in goal; Adam Marshall, Nigel Allister, Aaron McConnell and Bennington in defence; Roger Martin, Nathan Liggett, Daniel Calvin and James Brown in midfield; Matthew Graham and Gary Dean in attack.

The substitutes included Kelly, Ben McConnell and Stephen Campbell. The game was umpired by Dave Morrison.

Mossley started the match quickly and scored with a quick goal. They attacked down the right and fired a shot hard past the helpless goalkeeper, 0-1.

Banbridge were quick to respond with Gary Dean drifting past the Mossley defence to score a superb goal, 1-1. The match was end to end.

Mossley benefited again from a momentary lapse of concentration in defence only for Bann to respond well again with an excellently worked goal from Gary Dean again, 2-2.

The intensity of the game grew towards half time, as Mossley scored their third goal to make it 2-3. Bann were awarded a short corner which Nathan Liggett pulled out.

The ball was stopped at the top of the D and Adam Marshall stepped up to drag the ball past the Mossley goalkeeper to make it 3-3.

The whistle blew immediately after the restart to finish a relentless first half of hockey.

The second half was no different. The intensity of play was still extremely high, with both sides producing good chances in the opening ten minutes.

As the half wore on, Banbridge benefitted from being such a youthful side as Mossley tired. James Brown, Kelly and Ben McConnell interchanged well and produced some beautiful hockey.

The deadlock was broken by Gary Dean attacking down the right and firing a cross into the D. The pass found Nathan Liggett who fired easily past the goalkeeper and defenders to seal a hard-earned victory.