Hugo’s team down Clover Hill

Alan McVey, winner of the recent Mary Peters Sports Trust competition.
Alan McVey, winner of the recent Mary Peters Sports Trust competition.

The Banbridge Jimmy Bruen team, captained by Hugo Downey, cruised past Clover Hill last Thursday in their first round match at Spa GC.

The win here put Hugo’s team into the last 16 in Ulster and an open draw.

Malcolm Russell and Neville Kerr got Banbridge off to a perfect start when they won at the first tie hole. It was a close call but it was a crucial win and Banbridge didn’t look back.

Although Alan Caughey and Kerry McCluskey were well beaten by six and four, the remaining pairs pulled out all the stops to seal a 4-1 victory.

Matthew Mallon and Joe Glass were in top form and they won by four and three.

The young guns, Mark McCoy and Adam McGregor, were too strong for their opponents from South Armagh and they won by eight and six.

The two quiet men on the local team, Peter Hillen and Garreth Moody, finished the match off in style by winning their game by two and and and complete a thrilling day for the Banbridge side.

It’s onwards and upwards from here on as they stride into the last 16.

Ulster Fourball

Golf is laced with heart-breaking stories and the Ulster Fourball match between Banbridge and Mahee Island is one of them, for Banbridge anyway.

The first leg at Mahee Island finished in a win for the home team by 4-1 and 17 holes up.

Banbridge, captained by Merton McDowell, knew they had a huge battle on their hands when the second leg was played last Sunday. But they were up for it, big time.

Gerry Blevins and Gavin Greer won the first game two and one. Victor McNeill and Joe Thompson won one up.

Aidan Lavery and Robert Haire won eight and six, the match was tied 4-4 and Banbridge had retrieved 11 holes.

Sean McGreevey and Dermot Magee won five and four to put Bann ahead.

However, John Poots and Will Dickson were up against a very strong pairing and lost by the narrow margin of two and one, giving Mahee a three hole win.

So, in the final analysis, the match was tied at 5-5 and Mahee Island won by three holes up.