Bann are living it up in the city as they hit three past Harlequins

Banbridge now have five games left to play in their bid to regain the Ulster Premier League title. INBL1509-249eb
Banbridge now have five games left to play in their bid to regain the Ulster Premier League title. INBL1509-249eb

Banbridge travelled to Belfast Harlequins on Saturday and continued their winning streak with a 3-0 win.

It was a solid, mature performance by the young Bann side still missing their four internationals that were on Irish duties in San Diego.

The game started slowly with Bann keeping the majority of the ball, with possession in midfield and defence.

The first goal came from in-form striker Fraser Mills. After great work playing the ball out, Fraser found space and time to run at the Harlequins defence. After beating several defenders, he dummied his shot at the top of the D before rounding the keeper and slotting into the bottom corner. No Ronaldo-esque celebrating from the man, saving it for the bigger competitions.

The second goal of the game came from Matthew Bell. Great work from the forwards set up a short corner that was superbly converted by Bell into the bottom corner of the goal, leaving the goal keeper no chance on this occasion.

The remainder of the half continued with Bann working the home goalkeeper but theyr were unable to add to the scoreline.

The second half started the same way as the first with all the pressure coming from Banbridge. After sustained pressure, Bann thought they had won a penalty stroke after they felt Fraser Mills had been fouled as he was about to score. A penalty corner was given, with Fraser taking no further part in the game and looks set for a spell on the sidelines due to his head injury.

Bann were rewarded with a penalty stroke from the resulting penalty corner, after Matthew Bell’s drag flick was illegally taken off the line by a defender. Bell was unable to celebrate, though, as his stroke was saved by the Harlequins keeper. The third and last goal of the game came from excellent work from Jonny McKee, with his time spent in the gym paying dividends as he knocked off a number of Harlequins defenders before slotting it to Dane Ward who slammed the ball into the side netting with a first time masterpiece, while in living it up in the city.

After the third goal, the game simmered out and Banbridge ended up comfortable winners.

The next game for Bann is against Mossley in the league on Thursday night at 8pm.