Lorimer’s strike makes the difference

FOLLOWING their emphatic win on Saturday in Dublin, Garvey had to make sure of another victory when they took on Cork Church of Ireland at Comber Road on Sunday and after a dour encounter, won by a single goal to give them maximum points from their IHL week end.

This was a far from impressive performance by a less than positive Garvey and a stubborn Cork team will feel very disappointed not to have gained themselves at least a point with keeper John Tormey being without doubt the man of the match. He brought off a series of great saves especially in a second half which saw the home side under severe pressure.

Still without the class and skill of Timmy Cockram Garvey have great difficulty in penetrating opposition defences but they did so early in the game when Richard Arneill put Stuart McNiece in a scoring position but his shot was off target. from

After 15 minutes, neither side had created little in the way of open chances and the first quarter ended with the score predictably at 0-0.

Daniel Buser had a good effort saved by Cork keeper Billy Lynch but in the 20th minute, Garvey scored what to be the only goal of the match. It came from their first penalty corner flicked by James Lorimer with the ball entering the net after a half stop by the keeper.

Garvey’s second set piece was switched but Andy Forrest deflected the resulting shot past the post and the active Jack Wilson also saw a good shot blocked by Lynch just before the half time interval.

Cork threatened in the 38th minute when their first penalty corner taken by Simon Wolfe went wide of the goal but two minutes later Daniel Buser helped out keeper Tormey with a goal line clearance to enable his team to hold on to their tenuous lead.

Garvey were far from in control of the game into the third quarter and Cork forced two more penalty corners but John Tormey, not for the first time this season, was Garvey’s saviour with a series of brilliant saves including one in particular from David Harvey late in the game from Cork’s fifth penalty corner in the 67th minute.

Somehow, Garvey held on to their single strike in the 20th minute but the remaining 50 minutes saw Cork in charge of the game unlucky not to have scored the goal which would have seen an end to Garvey,s tilt at retaining the IHL title. They have a determined defence and particularly goalkeeper Tormey for giving them a great chance of finishing in the vital top two of Group B with Banbridge the firm favourites to top the pool.

This Saturday sees round 4fourof the competition and Garvey have another difficult game when they travel to Pembroke Wanderers ground at Serpentine Road to play Glenanne at 1.30pm. A third win could well maintain their challenge but they must be much more positive in their play if they are to return from Dublin with the full four points.