Junior Cup success for Hugo's team
THE qualifying rounds for the GUI Junior Cup were staged at eight different venues last Sunday.
Hugo Downey, the captain of the Banbridge team, took his squad to Warrenpoint.
The conditions were dry but very blustery which made it a severe test for these low handicap players.
Neil Madeley got Banbridge off to the perfect start with a highly commendable gross 77.
His brother Rory, along with young Luke Woods, went round in 80 shots each.
This was good stuff and all that was needed now was a respectable fourth card.
Hugo had his pick of either Trevor Woods or Jonathan Shannon as they both finished with 81.
The Banbridge four-card total was 318 and, at the end of the day, no other team was able to better this score.
The four qualifiers from Warrenpoint were Banbridge, Warrenpoint, Kilkeel and Mourne.
In the opening round of matchplay, Banbridge will play Mourne at the neutral venue of Warrenpoint.
It’s success after success for the Banbridge teams so far. Let’s hope it continues.
Meanwhile congratulations to:
• Winston Peden and Jim Gracey, who were on the winning team at the Glenavon Football Club Golf Classic at Lurgan.
• Harry Burnside, Derek Mathers, Luke and Trevor Woods who formed the winning team at the Church of Ireland Save Our Spire Golf Classic at Banbridge Golf Club last Friday.
• Dougie Stevenson, Philip Strong, Mark Carson and John Cowan who were the runners- up in the Save Our Spire Golf Classic.
• Scott McCandless, who won a massive rollover in the 2’s last Sunday.
• Kerry McCluskey, the winner of the T.B. Wallace Cup. The full story of this competition will be in next week’s notes.