U12s put in a good shift against Lurgan

BANBRIDGE Town U12s played their third game this season in the Lisburn League and it was a much improved performance on their previous two outings.

The local lads are still finding their feet at this level and after this showing away to Lurgan Town it proves they’re heading in the right direction.

The Juniors got off to a flyer as they pinned the Lurgan outfit back in their own half and played some tidy fooball with Jake Corbett causing problems with penetrating runs from the middle of the park and the forward duo of Dozy Ajeh and Jamie Feeney unsettling the Lurgan rearguard.

This pressure paid off for the Juniors when they went ahead on eight minutes after Shea Winters showed great footwork, beat his man and clipped a delightful ball through for leading goalscorer Jake Corbett who hit a crisp first time shot that flew into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Town’s midfield worked hard, breaking down attacks and getting a foot in to upset the rythmn of Lurgan’s play and keeper Michael McGrath pulled off a couple of fine stops, handling well in a crowded penalty area. The home side drew level on 25 minutes when their striker raced through beating the offside trap to slot home.

The first half was an even contest as both sides cancelled each other out but just before the break the Juniors were on the wrong end of terrible decision when Lurgan went ahead scoring from a certain offside position.

The locals didn’t let this injustice ruin their rythmn and in the second period Cameron Sands and James Orr delt brilliantly with any Lurgan attacks and the hardworking midfield trio of Shea Winters, Jake Corbett and Lewis McBurney tackled hard and played some great one touch football to create chances up front for Jamie Feeney.

Town almost drew level on 50 minutes when Jake Corbett broke from midfield and hit a thunderous effort that the keeper delt with and minutes later it was that man again Jake Corbett who cleared off the line at the other end to prevent the locals from going further behind.

As the game went into the final stages Town pressed high up the pitch and again nearly got that equaliser as striker Jamie Feeney was unlucky not to find the net with a good effort, but they were delt a sucker punch when five minutes from time Lurgan scored their third from 30 yards that keeper Michael McGrath had no chance with.

This was a big improvement from the U12s and if they keep up this level of performance they will soon register their first win of the campaign.

Man of the match went to Lewis McBurney who put in a hardworking shift.

Team – M. McGrath, D. McGill, C. Sands, J Orr, R. Shields, L. McBurney, B. Johnston, S. Winters, J. Crobett, J. Arlow, D. Ajeh, J. Feeney, J. Wilkinson