Town Under 17s in seventh heaven after a superb display and a five goal victory over Newry City Under 17s

Banbridge Town Under 17Bs took on Newry City at Havelock Park last Saturday in the Lisburn League.

Thursday, 25th February 2016, 3:45 pm

Banbridge got off to a thunderous start, working the ball well and pressing Newry back into their own half.

With only two minutes played, Town found themselves in front when Rhys Jones found a pocket of space before threading an inch perfect ball through for Liam Farrell, his shot was blocked but the ball fell for Sam McCallister who was clinical to bury his chance.

Banbridge were rampant in the early stages and could have been two or three goals up, captain Jake Laffin tormenting the visitors down the left, with Rhys Jones pulling all the strings.

Newry found an equaliser against the run of play after they won a free kick.

The resulting set piece was spectacularly saved by keeper Conor Ward, however, a Newry striker followed up and drew his side level.

Town were still well in control and playing comfortably while unlucky not to extend their lead with Sam McCallister proving a real handful for the Newry back line, going close on a couple of occasions.

Newry were looking dangerous on the break, however, Ryan Sloan and Ryan Jones were rock solid at the heart of the Town defence.

Again against the run of play, Newry surprisingly found themselves in front on 28 minutes from an incisive break away which was worked well.

Town were playing all the football, but found themselves behind for the first time if only for a minute.

Rhys Jones’ clinical passing was again the outlet as he fed Sam McCallister, who beat three men before squaring for Rhys to bury the ball and draw the game level again.

The second half began with Town ringing the changes, including the return of winger Jake Dennison from a long term injury.

Town’s new approach and attacking dynamic was an instant success, with straight from the restart Sam McCallister bagging the Town’s third and his second of the game with another brilliant finish.

Banbridge were in full flow again, getting a fourth goal a few minutes later when Sam McCallister turned provider after rolling his man down the left and squaring for Liam Farrell to finish into an empty net.

Newry were unable to cope with the pressure Banbridge were putting them under, Ryan Angus was covering plenty of ground while working the ball well, and Ryan Sloan and Ryan Jones carried the ball out from the back expertly.

It was only a matter of time before the fifth goal arrived, the returning Jake Dennison marking his comeback with a goal, finding space down the left before cutting in and curling the ball past the keeper.

The goal of the game was to follow, Town’s sixth goal came when Rhys Jones picked up the ball in midfield, drove at Newry before unleashing a thunderous drive from 25 yards which with the aid of the crossbar found the top corner of the net.

With Newry unable to muster up a reply to the level of football Town were producing, the game was rounded off with a seventh goal through Jake Dennison when he beat two men before finishing at the near post.

A top drawer performance from Banbridge as they closed out the game expertly.

Man of the Match was Sam McCallister for his attitude and approach to the game which summed up everything good about the Town’s day.