Town knocked out of cup

Banbridge Town v Limavady - Edward Byrne Photography INBL06-243EB
Banbridge Town v Limavady - Edward Byrne Photography INBL06-243EB

Banbridge Town 1

Limavady United 2

BANBRIDGE Town made the cardinal error of not turning up for the second half of their Intermediate Cup clash at Crystal Park.

They will be disappointed to exit the competition after dominating the first half and creating several fine chances - only one of which they converted!

They forced the pace from the start with Declan McArdle forcing a ‘last ditch’ save from Michael Doherty after three minutes.

They continued to play good flowing football with Stefan ‘Soup’ Campbell heading narrowly over minutes later after a super Paul Evans centre.

Campbell, who was having his best game in a Town shirt, again sent fellow striker McArdle racing through after a great lay-off but the Limavady rear-guard cleared under pressure.

Town got the lead they deserved in the 10th minute and it was appropriate that Campbell should score when he got on the end of a superb Jeff Brady left wing run and cross to beat Doherty at the near post.

The home side cancelled all their good early work when they conceded an unnecessary corner in the 14th minute from which Lee Patrick headed home for Limavady after a defensive mix-up.

Town pushed forward and created several chances to regain the lead but saw chances from Matty McCartan, who was just back after a long lay-off, and Campbell go a begging. The former was unlucky after 36 minutes when his long range effort struck a post with Doherty well beaten.

A sensational start to the second half decided the game when Town’s Evans conceded a penalty in the opening seconds and McCaughan converted easily to put the Roesiders ahead - a lead which they were to hold to the final whistle.

The second half was poor fare compared to the first with Town rarely looking as if they would pull the game out of the fire - Campbell and McArdle having half chances blocked. Their best chance came in the 77th minute when subsititue Mark Teggart found himself alone in front of goal from a perfectly flighted Campbell cross but finished weakly and Town’s chance had gone.

Next week Town will look to get back on track when they make the long trip to face Dergview in the IFA Championship.

Dergview have stunned most people in the Championship this season by rocketing up the table to second place and Town will have to be at the top of their game to see them off.

Saturday’s game gets underway at 3pm.