Town AFC are comeback kings as they defeat Loughgall

North West sides have fared well in Junior Cup draw.
North West sides have fared well in Junior Cup draw.

With Banbridge Town’s Intermediate Cup Round 3 match against Albert Foundry being called off at Cheney Park, there was no chance of Town AFC’s game against Loughgall Reserves being called off due to weather.

The Town youngsters were reminded of the earlier fixture this season against Loughgall where they played good football but failed to take their chances and two individual mistakes left them with a 3-1 defeat.

With that memory ringing in their ears the Town lads started the game with great intensity and a high tempo.

They knew that Loughgall were technically a very good side and disciplined so they needed to play at a high tempo to try and open them up.

With the Town AFC lads moving the ball well they created several decent chances resulting in good saves and forced corners. The opening 20 minutes was all one way with Town doing all the pressing.

However on 25 minutes Loughgall forced a corner of their own and a lapse in concentration with slack marking led to the unchallenged Loughgall striker finishing from 6 yards.

Town knew they were playing the better football and had created the better chances and it was this moment of immaturity that had cost them in this and previous games.

Town continued to express themselves on the pitch but failed to convert their chances.

Town went in at half time 1-0 down.

After the half time team talk Town came out and within seconds of the restart had cut through the Loughgall midfield and defence and created another good effort with the marauding Orr pulling his shot just wide.

Town continued to play entertaining football and the chances kept coming through the new look strike partnership of Williamson and Mc Cavitt.

The midfield of G.Orr, Gray Toner and Hayes worked brilliantly together with great movement off the ball and quick flowing passing created countless chances for the Town.

Indeed it seemed inevitable that they would eventually finish one of the chances off and on 60 minutes young Mc Cavitt stepped up with a finish Wayne Rooney would have been proud of. After previously fluffing a couple of attempts he made no mistake with this one and the bend he got on the shot was unbelievable.

With previous results a draw would have been an excellent result for Town but the way they were playing it was hard not to see them go on and score again.

They continued to press forward and credit to Loughgall they defended brilliantly.

But the moment arrived on 82 minutes when young Williamson rifled a volley of his own which sailed into the Loughgall goal leaving the Town lads 2-1.

What a come back and what a way to do it. Without doubt the best performance of the season.

They held on for the last 8 minutes plus injury time and restricted Loughgall to a few long range efforts.

It was a cracking game with both teams drilled to play good football.

From the back to the front the Town AFC management could not say enough of how well the guys performed.