Swifts keep up their 100% record against Richhill

BANBRIDGE Rangers Swifts maintained their 100% record in Reserve Division 3 on Saturday afternoon when they defeated Richhill 7-4 in an entertaining game at Dromore Leisure Centre.

Saturday, 29th September 2012, 9:00 am

For the second successive game Banbridge Rangers third string were three goals up by 15 minutes in a goalfest first half which saw eight strikes and a 5-3 scoreline after 45 minutes play.

John McCahon got the ball rolling after only three minutes scoring a goal of individual class picking the ball up on the half way line and glided past three defenders with ease before curling past the Richhill keeper.

Midfield general Bryan Chievers added a second goal on seven minutes heading home a Scott Lindsay corner at the back post to double Rangers advantage.

On thirteen minutes Neily Wilson fired home with his left foot after some good work down the right hand side to give Rangers a 3-0 head start and keep up the feat of both strikers Wilson and McCahon scoring in every game for the Swifts so far this season.

On 20 minutes keeper Burns spilled the ball in a fifty fifty with the striker with Beattie then getting dispossessed when trying to clear giving Richhill a gift of a goal to get them back into the game.

Within five minutest the Co Armagh side had brought the score controversially back to 3-2. The Richhill keeper Mark McCune came forward to take an indirect free kick after an offside call and managed to put the ball directly into the net after the bounce had beaten all players and the keeper.

Instead of awarding a goal kick for Rangers the referee awarded the goal unaware off rule regarding direct and indirect free kicks.

Just after the half hour mark Chievers again rose highest at the back post and nodded in his second goal off the game and was followed by Rangers making it 5-2 from another corner only this time it was left back Jeff Woods who ventured forward and put in the rebound after the keeper spilled an initial shot.

Before half time Richhill added a third goal from open play after a quick counter attack.

At half time Banbridge Rangers changed their shape slightly with Robin Butler coming on up front with Wilson pushing left and McCahon staying wide on the right hand side.

The change seemed to work with Butler making a menace off himself up front winning the lions share off everything in the air and on the ground creating waves off opportunities for Rangers which were squandered.

The sixth goal arrived just before the hour mark with Wilson scoring his second goal off the game and giving the Gers a bit of breathing space.

A seventh goal arrived on 75 minutes through Davy Rogers who head home a corner to cap off a very good performance at the heart of the defence alongside the experienced Neville Cochrane.

The tenacious Davy Ogle was almost rewarded with a goal with five minutes to go driving the ball towards the top corner but was denied by a superb save by the Richhill keeper.

Rangers conceded a fourth in the dying minutes but finished the game with all three points to maintain their superb start to the season.