Super Shea strikes twice to send Town out of Radcliffe Cup

Two goals from the experienced Shea Campbell were enough to see injury-hit Banbridge Town exit this season’s Bob Radcliffe Cup at the hands of a strong Annagh Utd side.

Paul Walsh, Chris McGrath and Conor Downey were all missing with McGrath out for six weeks after suffering a freak knee injury in a friendly fixture last week.

Annagh opened brightly and Harpur shot over from a 30 yard free after only two minutes. A lively Mark Teggart beat two defenders before testing ‘keeper Wright with a strong drive which the latter held at the second attempt.

tHe visitors who took a 16th minute lead when left winger Gardiner rounded Michael Ferguson before sending a pinpoint cross onto the head of Campbell and he made no mistake from close range.

Mark Teggart had a chance to equalise for Town soon after but delayed after racing onto a long through ball from Adam Pedlow. Banbridge continued to push forward at every opportunity and missed a golden opportunity when Teggart whipped a cross over only to see Steven O’Neill head wide.

At the other end Campbell curled a shot wide on 35 minutes before Mark Teggart forced a fine save from Wright after Adam Pedlow had supplied the perfect pass. The ever dangerous Campbell almost added to Annagh’s lead after 42 minutes but the alert Stephen Cairnduff made a great blocking save.

Banbridge came out after half time with all guns blazing and Adam Pedlow lobbed over after 51 minutes. Then Cairnduff produced a breathtaking save to prevent a Brown 25 yard piledriver from ending up in the net.

Damian McParland made a great run from the left back position to cross for Mark Teggart to head into Wright’s arms. Steven O’Neill forced an 80th minute corner which was safely held while at the other end Cairnduff made another good stop from Harrison after a fine Campbell pass had found him unmarked.

As time ran out Banbridge were had penalty claims rejected when it clearly appeared that an Annagh defender had handled in the box as he attempted a clearance. To add to Town’s woes Campbell put the nail into their coffin after 95 minutes when he tapped in at the far post to secure a quarter final spot for Annagh.

Banbridge Town: Cairnduff, Ferguson, McParland, Greene, Buchanan, Jones, Teggart, McCartan, O’Neill, Boyle, Pedlow. Subs: Kernaghan (Boyle 65), Wilson (Teggart 82), Watson, Heaney, McConville.