Slane denied a victory by late Tullyvallen equaliser

Moneyslane travelled to the new and impressive ground at Tullyvallen for a league fixture after last week’s cup exploits.

Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 6:51 am
Limerick FC return to pre-season training next week

With Mark Ervine unavailable, Stevie Coulter came in as a straight swap in the only change to the side.

Moneyslane started well and could have found themselves in the lead when a through ball was played to Coulter whose dinked shot was expertly saved by a strong arm of the on rushing keeper.

Moneyslane got themselves into the lead with a great move. Quilty’s first time ball played Gregg Harrison in behind the defence and his run and cross was inch perfect for the on running Coulter to slide it past the helpless keeper.

Moneyslane then started to turn the screw. Both full backs of Whitten and Boyd were getting involved at any opportunity with Whitten causing problems exploiting the space on the right.

Moneyslane forced a lot of corners but just couldn’t get the second and vital goal. Johnny Gibson was dominating the aerial battle in the middle of the park and this helped Moneyslane push forward and restrict Tullyvallen.

In the second half, as expected, Tullyvallen came out fighting and had upped their game and effort. However, Moneyslane were still creating chances as another through ball to Harrison in behind the defence on the right was crossed for the on rushing Anderson who just failed to make the ground.

The game was turning scrappy but another chance fell Moneyslane’s way with Whitten playing a one-two from his right back position and the return pass sent him through to goal.

His strong run and shot across goal again was expertly saved by the keeper who spread himself well and got a vital toe to divert it wide. Jordan Fairley came on to freshen things up for the Slane and was causing problems with his direct and fast running.

With time moving on, Slane got caught when a quick throw was taken and the midfield played a delightful 60 yard cross field pass to the right winger who controlled, stepped inside and hit a shot low to the bottom corner with Blevins no chance.

Both sides pushed and tried to win the game but with the daylight dropping and time ticking, the game ended in a draw.