Slane beat Lurgan as Reserves seal promotion

Following the superb result last Friday night against Valley Rangers, Moneyslane defeated a Lurgan Town team that drew with league-leaders Newry City in their last game.

Slane ran out 1-0 winners but it wasn’t without a hiccup as the 6.30 kick-offo was delayed due to the opposition’s kit arriving late.

Mark Ervine returned to the team and that was the only change to the Slane line-up. It was Lurgan Town who started on the attack as at every opportunity they looked to hit the ball to the front-men and the home defence had to deal with numerous high balls in the opening 10 minutes.

On 15 minutes, Whitten fired just over from 10 yards before Nesbitt had the ball in the net only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.

Despite some good possession, the home team were struggling to dominate the game and rarely troubled the opposition goalkeeper. Kerr saw a header from a corner well blocked on 35 minutes before, just on half-time, Nesbitt almost scored a screamer when he controlled a throw in and volleyed the ball just over the crossbar from 30 yards out.

In the second half, Moneyslane started to get on top with some good passing and plenty of endeavour but still lacked the cutting edge up top with striker Greg Harrison being well marshalled by a deep lying defence.

On 55 minutes, Shilliday had to be alive to outmuscle an attacker, who threatened to break through one on one. Then on 60 minutes, the breakthrough came when a great in-swinging corner by Bingham was headed home by the in-rushing Nesbitt.

As the game progressed, the home team enjoyed more possession but Lurgan Town still posed a threat on the break. The home team had a great chance to extend the lead when an alleged back-pass presented a free-kick 14 yards out but Bingham blasted high and wide.

Nesbitt then had the ball in the net again but again offside was given and the goal chalked off.

Davenport and Ervine were taken off for Boyd and Adair and both players made a positive impact on the Slane side. As the light faded, Lurgan Town threw caution to the wind and the home team sought to defend and close out the game. The final whistle sounded much to the joy of the home side, sealing their 1-0 victory.

MONEYSLANE: Blevins, Weir, Davenport, Kerr, Shilliday, Gracey, Bingham, Whitten, Nesbitt, Ervine, Harrison.

Subs: Boyd, Fairley, Anderson, Adair, Rowland.