Slane are put through the mill as Bourneview hit late winner

editorial image

There was a sting in the tail of Saturday’s game at Jubilee Park as hosts Moneyslane lost out 3-2, Bourneview Mills’ winner coming in injury time.

With Mark Ervine injured and Jordan Fairley unavailable, a further blow arrived for Slane just a few hours before kick-off when skipper Gareth Bingham and John Whitten declared themselves unavailable for selection.

Moneyslane v Hanover �Paul Byrne Photography INBL1502-260PB

Moneyslane v Hanover �Paul Byrne Photography INBL1502-260PB

New keeper Stephen White was able to play though and he made his debut while Jonny Adair and young Curtis Gibson came into the squad.

With a blustery wind blowing down Jubilee Park, the opening exchanges were even.

The first chance arrived at the feet of striker Gregg Harrison.

He went through one on one with the Bourneview keeper but dragged his shot wide of goal.

Bourneview took the lead when their number nine saw a fabulous 30 yard effort well saved by Stephen White but from the resultant corner, the same player rose unchallenged at the back post to head home.

Slane equalised soon after when Mark Anderson was brought down inside the area and just like Harry Kane a day later, he picked himself up and took the penalty himself and he fired it home.

Just before half-time, the visitors were awarded a spot-kick of their own a penalty after the ball struck Stevie Coulter’s arm.

The hosts felt it was more ball to hand than the other way around but the ref pointed to the spot.

Stephen White made a brilliant save down to his right but a Bourneview player following up scored the rebound.

Slane could not have got off to a worse start to the second period when not long after the restart, the hosts failed to clear their lines and the ball was fired home.

The home team looked disjointed and devoid of attacking ideas. Jonny Adair came off for Stephen Adair.

Then the game turned on its head within five minutes when Josh Buchanan going in on goal was brought down by the last defender for a penalty converted by Mark Anderson.

Moments after, from a corner by Mark Anderson, experienced defender Darragh Peden headed back across goal for striker Gregg Harrison to nod home, make it 3-3 and game on.

Slane pushed for the winner and brought Curtis Gibson and David Boyd on but it was the away team who snatched victory in injury time.

They counter attacked up the pitch and a cool finish earned them all three points in the most cruel way possible for the home side.

MONEYSLANE: Stephen White, Ryan Shilliday, Ally Quinn, Stevie Coulter, Darragh Peden, Jonny Gibson, Gregg Harrison, Brian Quilty, Josh Buchanan, Stevie Adair, Mark Anderson.

Subs: Jonny Adair, David Boyd, Curtis Gibson.