Shilliday nets last gasp winner as Slane beast past Lurgan Town

Moneyslane made it two wins in a row with a stunning injury-time winner at a stormy Jubilee Park on Saturday.

Thursday, 6th November 2014, 11:55 am
Moneyslane are back on form after scoring a late winner for the second week in a row.

Coming off a back of a thrilling 3-2 win over Laurelvale the week before, Slane this time saw off Lurgan Town 2-1 in equally dramatic fashion. Lurgan equalised on 88 minutes to cancel out Mark Anderson’s opener but Ryan ‘the beast’ Shilliday earned the three points right on the whistle.

Only Gareth Bingham and Jason Fairley remained on the injury list as Slane’s squad began to take shape again.

Brian Quilty returned to fitness with new signing Stevie Coulter also available and so manager David Johnstone had a selection headache.

Moneyslane dominated proceedings from the first whistle. The first chance of the game fell to Gregg Harrison but he headed over from a Darragh Peden knock-down. Fairley got on the end of a Coulter through ball but the keeper came out well to block.

Coulter then broke down the left, back-heeled for Mark Anderson to cross and Jordan Fairley’s header was just over. On 25 minutes, the home team took a deserved lead when Anderson struck a cracking free-kick into the top corner from 30 yards.

Their hard work paying off, Slane immediately pushed for a second goal. Harrison almost chipped the keeper after making a good run in behind the away defence and Peden had a goal disallowed for offside.

Even in the horrendous conditions, the home team continued to play well but just lacked that cutting edge in the box. After 60 minutes, Mark Ervine and Brian Quilty came on for Fairley and Steen. Anderson was causing problems down the left flank and it was from another surging run that he was upended for a certain penalty, however new signing Coulter’s effort was easily saved.

The home team were comfortable at the back, Blevins was a spectator but still the second goal did not come. A corner saw Gibson head narrowly wide, a great Whitten free-kick set up Quilty to head on to the post and a last ditch tackle saved what seemed a certain goal from Quilty.

As the game entered the last 10 minutes Lurgan Town threw men forward and only a great match winning tackle from Peden blocked a goal-bound effort.

On 88 minutes disaster struck for Moneyslane when a in-swinging corner was side footed home from seven yards at the back post.

As the game entered injury time though, a Slane corner was delivered into the box and Ryan ‘the Beast’ Shilliday fired into the net from 12 yards to seal another victory for the home side.

MONEYSLANE: Blevins, Whitten, Boyd, Shilliday, Peden, Steen, Harrison, Gibson, Fairley, Coulter, Anderson.

Subs: Ervine, Quilty, Quinn, Adair.