Scarva and Rathfriland sides are ‘two’ hard to separate

Scarva Reserves and Rathfriland Swifts Reserves played out a tight 2-2 draw at Scarva Park on Saturday.

The home side were at their best to do it while, for the Swifts, Quinn and Gribben worked well together up top to test the Scarva back-line.

Rathfriland keeper Trainor made a great save to deny David McCabe from a chance that was carved out astutely by the alert Kris Heron. Before half-time, Andrew Boyce forced the visiting keeper to save well when he was sent sprinting clear of the Rathfriland Swifts Reserves defence by a terrific through ball from David McCabe. Danny Cullen also went close to breaking the deadlock with a venomous strike from distance that flashed inches past the upright.

For the visitors at the other end, Magee’s good delivery was headed inches over by the lively Gary O’Reilly as neither side could open the scoring.

Rathfriland made a good start to the second half. Quinn almost converted from the edge of the area but he did find the net soon after, converting from the penalty spot.

Midway through the half though, the scores were level again. A brilliant cross on the left created havoc in the Rathfriland area and when the ball fell to the feet of David McCabe he sent a thunderous shot into the roof of the net, giving Trainor no chance.

With the equaliser, momentum swung in Scarva’s favour. They took the lead when the alert Alex Hammond took a free kick quickly and another cross of breathtaking quality posed major problems for the visitors. This time Andrew Boyce capitalised with an unstoppable header.

It was now the visitors who were pushing for the equaliser. Magee, Quinn and Gribben all saw efforts go wide. They did get the goal they were pressing towards. With just five minutes on the clock, Gary O’Reilly seized control and went on a mesmerizing run down the left flank to the touchline, cutting into the box and picking out Magee who finished well with his left.

Next up for Rathfriland Swifts Reserves is Coalisland at home.