Rathfriland on the rampage in Bangor

RATHFRILAND Rangers travelled to Bangor Rangers on Saturday, coming away with the three points in a 4–2 away win.

Rathfriland got off to an emphatic start and were 4–0 up inside just over half an hour but the home side were plucky and determined in their challenge.

The visitors took the lead on seven minutes when Clifford Sterritt cut in and curled a brilliant low shot just inside the post from the edge of the area for a great goal.

A second game soon after after good interplay between Sterritt and Wilson with the latter heading downwards for the ball to clip the inside of the post and nestle in the bottom corner.

Bangor however were always dangerous on the break with their No 11 in centre midfield pulling the strings – on one such occasion he put through the No 10 who almost clipped the ball over Wilton.

Rathfriland then went 3–0 up when Sterritt got his second of the game, in predatory style, when he slid in to slot a low cross into the bottom corner after a great take and cross on the left by Ally Beck.

The home side again were always dangerous and they forced a couple of decent headers on the Rathfriland goal but a fourth goal was to follow soon after when Beck himself slotted home with a neat left foot shot.

Simon McWilliams and Kevin Henry kept things tight at the back especially in the aerial battles but with five minutes remaining Bangor replied when they broke free to poke the ball under the advancing Wilton to make it 4–1 and to give them some hope before the half time whistle.

Psychologically Rathfriland had the game in the bag but the home side were extremely industrious in the second half when they came at the visitors right from the 46th minute.

Bangor had two shots on goal before they clipped the crossbar with a header while at the other end Rathfriland`s offensive play was broken down by a dogged and determined defence.

Sterritt did go close for his hat trick but the home side made it 4-2 on the hour when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box but they took it very quickly and fired the ball into the net with Rathfriland still getting organised.

Bangor had another couple of half chances but Ally Wilson clipped the crossbar with a brilliant 25 yard free kick on the left hand side. The remaining five minutes was played out without any further damage to the scoreline and Rathfriland ran out 4–2 winners.

Overall an excellent first half by Rathfriland going four goals up inside the half hour mark but Bangor never gave up and battled all the way and but for a bit more composure in front of goal could have had more than two goals although the visitors always looked that if they needed another gear they could have found it.

TEAM: David Wilton, Glenn Waddell, Ian Weir, Simon McWilliams, Kevin Henry, Willie Herron, Ryan Moffat, Paul Gibbons, Allistair Wilson, Clifford Sterritt, Ally Beck. Subs: Philip Davidson, Ryan Evans, Kyle Heslip.