Rangers go back above Lisanally with a deserved three points

editorial image

Banbridge Rangers secured three vital points against Lisanally Rangers, who were hovering just above them in the league on Saturday.

A corner from left back Dean Mallen on 14 minutes saw Colin Cousins with a free header that fizzed inches past the post as the home side were dictating the majority of territory and possession without being able to convert.

A through-ball two minutes later saw the Lisanally keeper come off his line well to save from Gourley.

After 22 minutes of incessant pressure, the deadlock was broken and in some style by influential midfielder Mark Wilton. A shot from Frazer was blocked on the edge of the area and the ball spun into the path of Wilton who hit a rocket of a shot into the bottom corner to send the large home support into orbit.

This was a wake up call for Lisanally who threatened on the half hour mark but a combination of pressure from centre=half Chris Chambers and a fine stop by Davy Crawford saw their striker’s shot go for a corner from close range.

Before the half, Cousins went close from a header after Banbridge Rangers put together a superb display of pass and move football which saw over 20 one and two touch passes run the visitors ragged before Frazer crossed.

Lisanally were a different side in the second half and showed a lot more bite and conviction.

With 25 minutes to go, there was a heart in the mouth moment as defender Chambers attempted to chest the ball back to his keeper but a Lisanally striker was standing behind him. Davy Crawford came to the rescue with a vital save from close range and from the resultant corner a Lisanally player headed inches over the bar.

As the game moved into the final 15 minutes, the Gers started to get a foothold on proceedings after a nervy spell with O’Neill and Porter working an opening for Jason Gourley but he sliced wide.

Minutes later, Porter found himself in behind the Lisanally full-back after being picked out by a 70 yard Chambers pass but his shot from an acute angle hit the wrong side of the post.

With eight minutes left on the clock there was a combination of jubilation and relief as William Frazer slotted in the second of the day for Rangers and a welcome three points.

Right winger Jonny Porter capped a fine performance on his birthday by picking out a late run from Jason Gourley who squared the ball for Frazer. He took a touch before dispatching from six yards.

Rangers travel to AFC Craigavon on Wednesday (kickoff 6.45pm). Their final home game is on Saturday at 2.15pm against Lower Maze.