Quilty nets late winner as Slane tame Glenavon Res

Moneyslane's Gregg Harrison in action against Glenavon Reserves. Paul Byrne Photography INBL1435-214PB
Moneyslane's Gregg Harrison in action against Glenavon Reserves. Paul Byrne Photography INBL1435-214PB

Cup fever descended on Cheney Park on Friday as Moneyslane entertained Glenavon Reserves in the Bob Radcliffe competition.

What a game it turned out to be for the neutrals as Slane claimed a stunning 3-2 victory, Brian Quilty with the winner.

Another new signing, Glenn Ferguson, also found the net while captain Gareth Bingham, making his first start of the campaign, got the second.

Chris Kerr also returned from injury with Mark Jardine promoted from the Reserves. Peden, however, remained out with a hamstring injury.

Slane started really well with good pressure on their opponents in possession and also getting the ball forward quickly to their front men. Ferguson was seeing plenty of the ball and it was he who opened the scoring after only 11 minutes when Quinn found Gregg Harrison and his intelligent reverse pass was controlled by Ferguson and slotted home.

It got even better for the home team when from 25 yards out skipper Bingham curled home a spectacular free-kick much to the delight of the large home support. Glenavon Reserves came into the game more, dominated midfield for a spell and scored when a poor clearance was thumped into the top corner from the edge of the box on 40 minutes.

The second half saw Glenavon push for the equaliser and they had some god passing moves and were controlling the game in midfield.

Ervine came on for Ferguson in an attempt to get some physical presence up front with Whitten moving out right. Soon after, Harrison had a great chance but he fired just wide when put through by Ervine.

Slane were defending well but just as it seemed the storm had been weathered, on 70 minutes a cross from the left found an unmarked player eight yards out and he headed home the equaliser.

Glenavon were pushing hard for the winner but Slane looked like they could still cause problems on the break.

Then with seven minutes to go, Bingham won a great tackle in midfield, fed Ervine and after a good exchange of passes Quilty broke through the back line to cooly slot the ball under the advancing keeper and send the home support into raptures.

Glenavon threw everything into getting an equaliser but the Slane defence with Shilliday and Kerr at its heart stood firm.

MONEYSLANE: Blevins, Quinn, Boyd, Shilliday, Whitten, Kerr, Gibson, Harrison, Ferguson, Quilty, Bingham.

Subs: Ervine, Fairley, Jardine, Weir, Steen.

Next up

Moneyslane’s next fixture is on Friday evening when Cookstown Celtic visit Cheney Park to take on Slane in the second round of the Marshall Cup (kick-off 8pm).