On song Slane keep up the pressure at the top

Moneyslane are back in top form and edging their way towards the top of the table. INBL1435-212PB
Moneyslane are back in top form and edging their way towards the top of the table. INBL1435-212PB

Moneyslane are just a point off the top of the table and in full flow after their third successive victory on Saturday.

Goals from Mark Ervine, Jordan Fairley and Stevie Adair led Slane to a 3-0 away win over Markethill Swifts, who are one of the other in form teams in Intermediate B.

The hosts had only been beaten once so far this term but still they were no match for Slane in full flow.

Going into the game, Moneyslane were dealt a blow as Boyd was injured in training while Bingham and Jason Fairley played with the Reserves.

Ervine, Quinn and Quilty came into the starting line up and it didn’t take long for Ervine to prove his worth.

Right from the first whistle, there was a real determination about the whole team and on 11 minutes, Ervine slid in to convert a low cross from Mark Anderson.

Soon after, he almost doubled the lead when he headed off the crossbar unmarked at the back post.

Brian Quilty was finding some great passes behind the home defence and Anderson was causing problems down the left, putting in a number of good crosses.

The home team had some good possession in midfield and their set piece delivery kept the Slane defence on their toes.

Before the break, Gregg Harrison cut in from the right and his shot had to be flicked away by the keeper.

Again Slane started brightly in the second half but the energetic home team looked to get back into the game.

A Harrison corner saw Peden just fail to connect at the back post.

At the other end, Ivor Blevins raced off his line well on two occasions to deal with through balls, while Darragh Peden made a good block.

After 65 minutes, Fairley came on for goal-scorer Ervine to inject more pace up front and as the game progressed, the away team took control.

Two committed tackles, one from Gibson and one from Whitten, showed real intent.

Anderson went through one-on-one but fired just wide and Fairley had a shot blocked.

Adair came on for Anderson and with Quilty and Coulter getting on the ball, plenty of chances started to come.

Harrison had a great chance when put through but with options to his right, he shot early and missed.

On 70 minutes, Whitten floated a free-kick and Fairley rose highest 16 yards out to power a header into the bottom corner much to the delight of the travelling fans.

Soon after, Fairley broke through but blazed over from 14 yards.

Slane wrapped the game up on 78 minutes. Fairley’s shot was saved but Adair was on hand to tuck the rebound into the net.

Slane saw the game out comfortably from there to take all three points.

Moneyslane: Ivon Blevins, John Whitten (C), Ally Quinn, Ryan Shilliday, Darragh Peden, Jonny Gibson, Stevie Coulter, Brian Quilty, Gregg Harrison, Mark Anderson, Mark Ervine.

Subs: Jordan Fairley, Stevie Adair, Ben Steen