Moneyslane lose vital top four clash

MONEYSLANE’S first team hosted Ballymacash Rangers at Crystal Park last weekend in a top four clash with the points vital to both teams.

Both teams started this game cautiously on a poor surface at Crystal Park, trying to probe a way through two tight defences.

On the quarter hour a high ball over the top of the Slane defence to the striker allowed him to race in to slot the ball wide of the advancing Fry. The ball nested in the net for the opening goal much to the frustration of the players and management staff.

The visitors were playing with good composure and were attacking Slane down the flanks. They were awarded a corner when a shot was deflected wide, it was swung deep into the Slane box and the big centre midfielder headed goal ward but the ball was cleared off the line.

Slane settled the visitors down and Anderson played the ball to Feeney who turned sharply. He hit inches over the bar, then Slane had a big penalty shout turned down when Ervine was upended in the ‘Cash box.

Lockhart and Weir were combing well and Brown and McCann were working overtime in central midfield.

Davenport crossed to Ervine who laid the ball off to Lockhart who hit wide.

On the half hour Slane went two down when a well timed pass caught Slane napping at the back. Thee striker raced through with just Fry to beat and he lobbed the ball over the outreached arm to double the visitors’ lead.

With two minute to go to the break Slane were awarded a free kick 30 yards out. The ball was swung into the danger zone and Ervine rose high to nod down to Feeney who made no mistake, hammering it into the back of the net.

New signing Chris Loney made his debut for the club at half time and he slotted into the midfield. Fry was alert to make a great save to push the ball around the post from a fierce shot.

Feeney spread the ball wide to Anderson who rounded his marker and swung the ball around the back of the ‘Cash defence to Lockhart, who had his shot charged down as Slane lifted the tempo.

McConnell and Cromie also entered the fray as Slane searched for the equaliser, pushing the visitors back into their own half.

With five minutes to go Slane lost possession up front and the visitors broke up field on the counter attack. They punished Slane when the ball was swung in from the right to the centre forward who timed his run perfectly, getting in behind the Slane defence to slot home.

Slane kept the pressure the on the visitors from the restart. A free kick was lobbed into the box by Loney and Ervine found himself in acres of space and headed into the roof of the net to make it an interesting last few minutes.

Best on the day for Slane was Lee Feeney who worked his socks off and a big thanks to Seapatrick FC for the use of their kit on the day.

Team: N Fry, D Boyd, J Davenport, J O’Neill, L Feeney, T Lockhart, M Ervine, T McCann, M Anderson, C Brown, C Loney, D Cromie N Wilson J McConnell.