Moira dump Slane out of Foster Cup

Moneyslane 1

Moira 2

MONEYSLANE’S first team played Moria at home on Saturday in the Foster Cup quarter finals and were looking to put in a good performance in front of a big support up the line.

Slane attacked from the first whistle and a Feeney cross was volleyed by John Davenport but the Moria keeper saved well.

Thomas McCann crossed to Davenport who took the ball down and squared to Feeney who hit just over the top.

Neil Wilson hit hard from outside the box and his shot was deflected wide and the corner was hit over by Ervine and McCann headed just over. David Boyd swung in a good cross and it was cleared as far as Chris McConville and hit wide.

Feeney had to come off the field and was replaced by Mark Anderson up front after half an hour. Boyd picked out McCann and he slotted it to Ervine who placed it into the path of Davenport who hit well but the keeper got down well to save.

Neil Bingham was instrumental in midfield and he found Rodney McCann who crossed to the far stick, Ervine fired in his shot but the keeper was in good form and saved well.

With 10 minutes to go before the break the visitors opened the score against the run of play when t he central forward was picked out by a cross from the left and he slipped the ball under the advancing Nigel Fry and into the net.

Slane still pushed the visitors back into their own half but couldn’t find the telling strike to beat the inform keeper.

Bingham hit a free kick inches wide of the up right as Slane pushed to level the score.

On the hour Slane did draw level when McConville dinked the ball across the goal mouth to Ervine who hammered it into the roof of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Five minutes later the visitors again broke down the Slane defence and the striker nipped in to hit the ball wide of Fry and into the net to put them in front for the second time.

Slane fired everything at Moria and Glen Moffett came into the fray and played up front to booster the striker force.

Davenport hit two efforts wide at the far post and Mark Anderson had a shot well saved. It was all one way and Slane were pushing hard to get the game level again.

The Moria keeper was good in the air, catching well and saved from Bingham who rifled in a shot. Anderson hit just wide and rippled the side netting while Moffett hit over.

It was frantic stuff and the game came to a halt by the sound of the final whistle much to the disappointment of the Slane support.

Overall this was a game where Slane just couldn’t find the net when it mattered on the day and will now have to concentrate on the league. Best on the day for Slane was Thomas McCann and Neil Bingham in midfield.