Hard fought away victory for Amateurs as they see off Seagoe in Portadown

Dromore Amateurs pleased their boss with a hard fought win. Paul Byrne Photography INBL1436-227PB
Dromore Amateurs pleased their boss with a hard fought win. Paul Byrne Photography INBL1436-227PB

Saturday September 30 saw Dromore travel to Portadown to play Seagoe in the Mid Ulster Cup.

With five changes to the team, Dromore started brightly and should have been in front with Lochart and M Rowan going close in the first five minutes.

It was all one way traffic with Dromore in control of the game and on 20 minutes they took the lead when Lochart showed great foot work in the box before slotting the ball into the net.

This should have allowed Dromore to push on for more goals but it seemed to have the opposite effect. Seagoe started to get back into the game but the back line off T Stewart, McDonald, Martin, Hill with Beggs behind in goals had everything under control.

The half finished with Dromore having a few more chances but unable to convert any.

The second half started with Seagoe on the front foot and the midfield of S Curran, Beattie, N Curran and L Stewart were under pressure from the off.

Dromore were starting to panic a bit and conceded the equaliser on 60 minutes when they failed to deal with a corner and the Seagoe player was left free to head in from five yards.

This goal galvanised Seagoe who hit cross bar shortly afterwards. Dromore made changes bringing on Lavery and Bain and it was Lavery who missed the best chance with 10 minutes to go after good work by Bain.

The game ended 1-1 and it was then 10 mins each way extra time.

Both teams where looking tired and there was little chances in the first period of extra time with neither goalkeeper having to work to hard. The closest to a goal was Seagoe hitting the cross bar.

The second period saw a Dromore change with Brownlee coming on. With both teams pushing to win the game Dromore forced a few corners and it was at one off these that Dromore got the winner with Brownlee heading in from an L Stewart corner.

Overall it was a hard fought win with manager Brownlee commenting: “We started brightly and got the first goal but we just couldn’t push on and get a second or third. The players showed great determination today with a few running on empty at the end”.

Next weeks fixture is to be confirmed at a league meeting on Monday night.

Team- Beggs, T Stewart, Hill, Martin, McDonald, S Curran, J Beattie, N Curran, L Stewart, M Rowan, Lochart, Bain, Lavery, Brownlee.