Gers Reserves lead 4-0 before game abandoned

editorial image

When a team is 4-0 down and reduced to nine men with quite a bit to play, there is always the possibility that discipline will evade the losing team.

This occurred last Saturday when Newry City AFC Reserves were the visitors to take on Banbridge Rangers Reserves at Cheney Park.

The new Rangers management team of David McCullough and Glenn Moffett got off to a superb start with a thumping 4-0 win over Moneyslane and continued that form this week.

Within four minutes the Gers were a goal to the good when Aaron Chambers picked up the ball on the edge of the area and stroked the ball into the bottom corner.

A second followed in the 22nd minute with Ryan Weir teeing up Matty McKnight from 25 yards and the midfielder made no mistake.

The first of the sending offs took place before half an hour as Newry’s left winger had been booked for a tirade of foul and abusive language only a minute before trying to get a Rangers player booked in the centre circle with an elaborate dive, earning a second caution.

Newry threatened soon after with a break down the right and when the cross was volleyed by striker Josh Cargin, it required a top drawer save from Matthew Freeburn to maintain his superb record in goals.

Just after the hour mark, Jordan McCracken converted the third at the back post after some nifty footwork by McKnight released Weir in behind the full back.

A fourth goal followed minutes later when a long Dean Gordon throw in found its way to Weir on the edge of the six yard box and he diverted low past the keeper with a first time effort.

It was at this point that Rangers players were hit by a number of reckless challenges from Newry players.

One challenge in the 74th minute led to the Newry number 10 taking matters into his own hands.

This then resulted in a pitch invasion by two Newry substitutes and three supporters as the youthful Rangers team kept their composure in a difficult situation.

The referee was left with no option but to abandon the match as the scenes marred what was another terrific performance from the Rangers Reserves team who will have to await the outcome of the MUFL Management Committee findings.

RANGERS: Freeburn, Adamson, Cobb, Sergeant, McCrum, Weir, McKnight, Mallen, Cairns (McCracken 51), Chambers, Gordon.