Dromore Under 14s reach cup final with fine win

editorial image

Dromore U14s went through to the final of the Knock Out Cup with a 3-1 win over Lisdrum at Cheney Park in Banbridge.

Both teams played well and it was a very close game.

Dromore had a full squad to choose from for the very first time since November 2015.

It was great to welcome back Joel to the team and he immediately slotted into centre back along side Patrick.

Dromore were quite quiet first halve although Adam had a great shot on target after six minutes.

One minute later Karl hit the ball across the box, but Euan could not get there in time.

Then Lisdrum won a free kick 35 yards out. Their number 8 played a lovely free kick just under the bar, with Josh well beaten.

The defence were worked hard, Lisdrum were winning a lot of ball in midfield.

Dromore defenders were put under a lot of pressure, but Nathan, Joel, Patrick and Briggs held out well.

Phil was doing a great job marking their big number 8. Morgan was working hard trying to cover a lot of ground.

It was Morgan who broke up the play and crossed a great ball for Karl, who could not swivel enough to get a strong shot away.

The second half was going the same way as the first, although Liam was getting more involved on the right.

After 13 minutes of the second half, Nathan took a quick throw into the box. The ball went over the defenders head and bounced near the penalty box for Karl, who had flowed the flight of the ball and buried the ball passed the keeper. The next goal came shortly afterwards.

A corner was taken and the ball came off a Lisdrum defender, to Morgan outside the box.

Morgan took a great shot from 25 yards out into the top lefthand corner of the net, giving the keeper no chance. Great for Morgan to score not only a spectacular goal but his first of the season.

Then with ten minutes to go Euan followed a Patrick clearance up field, putting pressure on the defender.

The defender managed to get a foot on the ball but it fell to Briggs who finished well, from just inside the box.

With five minutes to go Josh made a great double save from close range.

Well done to the team including the subs Jack and Ben who did not get on, but have played a good role in earlier games. The final will be on Saturday April 16 at Lurgan Town. 3G.