Dromore fail to hold on to two goal lead against Old Boys

DROMORE travelled to Newtownards to play 1st Bangor OB in their second league match of the season sponsored by McDonald’s Mace.

Manager Barry Taylor made a few changes giving starts to Willie Mcmurray, Roger McCartan, Kevin Walsh and a debut to the returning Stephen Haslem.

In very difficult playing condition it took Dromore time to settle as they struggled to get to grips with the strong winds. In fact the Dromore defence needed to be on their game to thwart the early possession enjoyed by the home team.

As the match went on Dromore started to find their way and enjoyed some good passages of play despite the wind doing it’s best to ruin the game. On a few occasions both Robert Coady and David Smylie found themselves with shooting opportunities as Dromore continued to use the wind to their advantage.

Eventually the visitors took the lead when Robert Coady latched on to a through ball from Willie McMurray, shooting early past the keeper and into the bottom right hand corner.

Unfortunately this lead was short-lived as the home side capitalised on a mistake by Dromore resulting in an easy tap in by the Bangor forward.

Undeterred and in a manner typical to Dromore this season the visitors bounced back when a corner was headed in by Rodger Downey, taking the visitors into a 2-1 half time lead.

The second half began with Dromore determined to cope with the wind now against them and indeed started the half the brighter. Again demonstrating their improvement as a football and passing team, Dromore broke down the home defence when a right hand cross made it’s way to the energetic Johnny Beattie whose left foot shop found it’s way into to the top corner for a commanding 3-1 lead.

Dromore continued to enjoy possession and indeed continued to play the best football on show, unfortunately though it became increasingly difficult to play against the strong wind.

Instead of closing out the match, Dromore’s inexperience showed as their young team continued to attack resulting in a loss of defensive shape down the left hand side.

This loss of shape allowed the home team to take advantage of the conditions and exploit the spaces in the Dromore defence.

A free kick for Dromore outside the opposition box was saved by the keeper who countered quickly and within 10 seconds Bangor had scored.

The following 10 minutes proved to be the most difficult for Dromore as the home team pressed for an equaliser and five minutes later a shot from the opposing forward was not dealt with by Dromore keeper McMurray and trickled over the line for the equaliser.

McMurray redeemed his mistake minutes later with a super point blank save to deny the home team the lead.

The game was heading for a draw when in the last minute a moment of madness from the Dromore team allowed the Bangor winger a clear run on goal and only for a superb last gasp, game saving tackle from the ever impressive Jamie Mairs, the score would have been 4-3 to the home team.

The resultant corner went over the bar and the referee whistled soon after to signal the end of the game.

After the match the Dromore manager commented that he was bitterly disappointed not to come away with all three points, however the conditions were difficult and would have suited the home team much better.

He said, “An away draw is not a bad result at the end of the day and scoring three goals away from home is a real plus but we do need to start getting some clean sheets.”

Next Saturday Dromore host Shorts in the first round of the Irish Cup to be played at ferris park, kick off 2pm.