Donaghy scores the winner over experienced Annagh side

GILFORD come into this game on a two game winning run.

This match was played despite heavy rain through out the night - this made the pitch very slick and sometimes hard to judge the pace on the ball.

Gilford were stunned by a strong Annagh side that scored in the second minute with a direct passing move, placing the ball past the normally solid Gilford keeper Martin Savage.

They restarted the game knowing already that they would be in a game and would have their work cut out to put one over the visitors.

Crusaders played some good football before they levelled the score with a route one ball from Martin Savage over the heads of the defence to the feet of Ruairi Feeney who rounded the helpless keeper and slotted the ball home.

Gilford then went 2-1 up with a lovely passage of play. The ball was played to Sean Cunningham who cleverly flicked the ball over the defender's head to Mark Feeney who took one touch and crossed an excellent ball into the box for team xaptain John Feeney to head the ball home.

As Gilford looked to increase their lead it was Annagh who struck next on 22 minutes with a goal that brought them back into the exciting cup fixture.

This match had already taken some twists and turns until John Feeney broke clear and slotted home his second and Gilford’s third of the game, going in of the post with the keeper having no chance.

It was hard to believe that the game was still only in the first half as so much had already happened what more could this game offer to the fans that had came to support their team despite the harsh weather.

The second half started both Gilford trying to increase their lead and Annagh trying to level once more. Their chances were made easier when the referee gave a Gilford player a second yellow card in the 50th minute. Gilford would have to work hard to hang on until the end.

Annagh were using the extra man as much as they could with no results. In the 57th minute, in a 50/50 tackle, Annagh Utd player Michael Crowe came out of the challenge badly with the game being stopped to await an ambulance. This stoppage in play did not help either team as any momentum was lost.

It was Annagh who found the next goal to level the match for a third time at 3-3 with a looping header in the 71st minute.

Both teams were now giving it all to try and finish the game off as the next goal could well be the winner. As extra time loomed it was Gilford who looked more likely to take the lead once more.

With a great run Kieran McCourt broke from the centre of the Gilford defence, went past two players and played a great ball to Ruairi Feeney who composed himself, looked up and saw Stephen Donaghy in box ready for the pass which Ruairi made straight to his feet.

Stephen past the ball into the net for his first and Gilford’s fourth of the game.

Gilford would like to wish Michael Crowe a speedy recovery from the injury sustained in the match.

The club would also like to congratulate Kieran McCourt on the birth of his daughter - from all at the club the wish you and your family all the best.

Gilford’s next fixture is a home tie to local rivals Scrava in the league. Kick off is at 2.15pm at Woodlands Park, Gilford.