Champions inflict a heavy defeat on Gers

BANBRIDGE Rangers suffered a heavy defeat at the hands off current Intermediate A Champions Camlough Rovers at Cheney Park on Saturday afternoon.

The result eliminates Rangers from the Premier Cup and with it the all chance of a showpiece Cup Final at Christmas.

The first 45 minutes of football was one of the worst from any Rangers team in recent history with a lack of enthusiasm gifting Camlough control of the game.

The only way to match the industrious Camlough Rovers is through hard work and desire and with neither being present it was only a matter of time before the first goal arrived with the elusive Declan Monaghan heading in from close range after a looping shot from a wide area caught out the Rangers back line.

Camlough squandered several good chances when clear on the keeper in the first half to only go 1-0 up at the interval with Banbridge Rangers picking up several needless yellow cards in a frustrating first half.

Manager Dan Thornton had used all three substitutes before the start of the second half in a game that would have went to extra time and penalties had Rangers managed to find an equaliser.

Jason Gourley suffered an injury to the ribs within minutes of the half after a collision with keeper Joe Goodwill but was able to return to action to the relief of the Rangers contingent.

Camlough Rovers second goal was slightly fortuitous coming from the penalty spot which was awarded for a pointblank black of the ball by arm outstretched arm. Monaghan stroked home in the left hand side of the net to double Camloughs advantage.

It was only at this point that Banbridge Rangers started to play some free flowing football with Buchanan and Frazer keeping Rovers on the backfoot for an uplifting 15 minute spell.

In midfield things started to look up with substitutes Wayne Nelson and Matthew McKnight showing the sort of determination that Rangers severly lacked in their first half showing.

Ryan Gregg tried his utmost to make things happen in the centre going on several mazy runs but Camlough’s disciplined banks of four made it impossible to record a shot on target.

When the third goal went in for Camlough on the counter attack on 81 minutes it finished the game as a contest and a fourth was tapped in soon after to compound a dismal day for the Gers.

Camlough now host Dollingstown in the quarter finals of the Premier Cup with Rangers now having two tough cup ties coming up on successive Friday evenings at Cheney Park against Ambassadors this weekend followed by Valley Rangers on Friday September 7 in the Bob Radcliffe Cup.