Flicks heartache for the Seconds

DUE to the re-sanding of Ferris Park, Dromore Ladies Seconds travelled to Dungannon to take on Derg Valley, who are two leagues above them, in the cup quarter final.

Monday, 1st March 2010, 8:05 am
Updated Monday, 1st March 2010, 12:23 pm

Dromore started with most of the pressure in defence. However, they worked well making numerous tackles and regaining possession.

Dromore’s midfielders worked tirelessly throughout the first half, supporting the back four and the three forwards. Midway through the first half Dromore got several penalty corners but they were unfortunate not the convert them.

An intercepted pass from Derg Valley gave them a chance to take the lead. From the top of the circle the Derg Valley player volleyed the ball into the top of the Dromore net.

Dromore midfielders Laura Gamble and Paige Brown worked well together making chances for the localsin the circle.

Dromore came out fighting in the second half looking for a goal to level 1-1. This came as Jo Wilkinson and Paige Brown worked the ball into the circle from a long corner. As the ball came towards Louise McCracken it bounced in front of her. She composed herself and smashed the ball into the top of the net.

Dromore battled in Derg Valley’s 25 for the majority of the second half and had

several shots on target but were unable to finish, pushing the match to extra time. Fourteen minutes of extra time seen chances for both sides slip away.

The match was still level after extra time which forced the game to flicks. After

two flicked from each team Dromore were down 2-0.

With just two flicks left Dromore’s captain, Jo Wilkinson, stepped up to the flick spot to give hope to the young side. She calmly slotted the ball past the keeper to bring the score line to 2–1.

Keeper Catherine Cochrane then made a great save to keep the girls hopes alive.

Once more Louise McCracken took to the flick spot and dramatically hit the ball off the side of the post but fortunately it crossed the line, making the result 2–2.

The game was pushed to sudden death. Dromore keeper Cochrane was faced with the final ball, as the flick was taken Cochrane got a slight touch on the ball but it was not enough as the ball crossed the line.

The Dromore girls were disappointed at their defeat but they are determined to continue their unbeaten run in the league and gain promotion.

They wish Derg Valley the best of luck in the semi final.