Fine form continues

Share this article

THE Swifts’ recent fine form continued on Saturday with a well deserved win over Warrenpoint Reserves at Iveagh Park.

The result leaves the Swifts unbeaten in league action with two victories and two draws from their opening four fixtures.

Warrenpoint fielded a strong side with a couple of first team squad players in their line up and such is the spirit and belief in the Swifts side at the minute that this did not affect their game plan but simply galvanised them.

The game started at a frantic pace and the Swifts got the dream start 10 minutes in when a corner was swung to the back post.

Gibbons reacted well volleying the ball back across goal where Heslip was lurking and he smashed goalwards with the keeper saving his initial shot but couldn’t stop his second effort.

Warrenpoint then rallied a respond with an equaliser when a free kick was awarded for handball on the edge of the Rathfriland penalty box. Wilton could do nothing but watch as the free kick was expertly dispatched into the bottom corner.

The game was still being playemd out at a fierce pace with both sides creating chAnces to take the lead. It was the home team that got their noses in front when a long clearance by Lawson from the back wasnt dealt with by the ‘point defence and Toal followed up, flicking the ball towards Heslip who thumped an effort goalwards with the young keeper saving his initial shot but again Heslip reacted quickest to slam home at the second attempt.

Five minutes before the half ended the Swifts got their third. The Warrenpoint captain tried to head a forward ball back to his keeper but Toal read it perfectly and intercepted to arrive just in time to flick his header over the keepers outstretched arms.

The half ended with neither side creating anymore chances.

The second half began with the Swifts determined not to let the visitors back into the match. They defended resolutely throughout the half and were well organised behind the ball.

When they did break forward they always looked dangerous and openings started to appear in the point defence as they pushed forward trying to get back into the match.

One such occasion saw Toal release Hollingsworth but his shot was well saved by the keeper. Heslip also had a fine shot well saved by the young keeper.

At the other end Wilton had to remain alert to turn an effort around his right hand upright after seeing it late. 
Rathfriland will be disappointed to have conceded a second when poor organisation and communication at a freekick allowed a point player to head home unmarked at the back post right at the death to take the scores to 3-2.

The Swifts certainly are giving it their all of late and will be going into the next league game against Annagh United Reserves with great confidence.

Team: Wilton, Lawson, Gibbons, Murray, Weir, McComish, A.Megaw(capt), Johnston, Hollingsworth, Toal, Heslip, Subs; Gilmore, Robb, Bell.