Dromore involved in two tight games

DROMORE played host to league leaders Portadown on Wednesday past, hoping to continue their winning league form.

Monday, 18th March 2013, 8:00 am
Dromore Rugby Club Chaplain, Rev Sam Peden was the sponsor of the club's Kukri Qualifying League game against CIYMS at Barban Hill. Included is club president, Denis Savage and Sam's grandson, Adam McDonald who plays for the 1st XV. Photo: drewmcwilliams.com INBL11-600dmcw

The locals took an early lead when Steenson converted a penalty, before sloppy play by the Dromore backline allowed Portadown to capitalise on a loose pass and set up a scrum close to the home teams line, a injury to Ryan Wilson saw him leave the field and as Dromore re-organised the Portadown pack scored with a push over try.

Their lead was short lived however as Dromore dominated possession, a quick tap from a penalty in the Portadown ‘22 saw Steenson sneak over beside the posts for a typical scrum half try, the conversion was added and Dromore led 10-7 at the break.

An even battle resumed after the break but it was the Ports through former Dromore player Gary Hall who scored next, a kick and chase seemed to confused the Dromore defence and the Portadown winger forward won the chase to the line to break the stern Dromore resistance.

Dromore continued to attack but could not find the break they required and it was the visitors who secured victory on the final whistle with an easy penalty to leave the final score 15-10 to Portadown.

Coach Bekker was disapointed his young charges did not win the match but was happy they held on for an important bonus point against the best team in the league.

DROMORE entertained CIYMS on Saturday last at a very wet and windy Barban Hill.

The pitch was very wet but the referee declared it fit for play and Dromore kicked off with the wind at their backs.

It was clear to see from early on that the conditions would dictate that the match would be a forward battle and Dromore were standing up well to the powerful CIYMS pack.

Dromore dominated possession for long periods of the first half but it was the visitors who scored first through their No 8, Dromore then charged forward and earned a line out close to the CIYMS line, and barged over following their trademark catch and drive, the sides entered half time tie a 5-5.

The second half was a fairly even affair until 5 minutes from time when Dromore gained the upper hand and pressurised the CIYMS line, they drove from a line out but were held out by stout defence.

The referee awarded a penalty, Captain Steenson decided not to kick the penalty but asked his out half Cobb to kick to the corner, unfortunately he kicked the ball dead and CIYMS were able to escape the danger.

Unbelievably Dromore got back to the CIYMS line and looked certain to score until the visitors encroached off side, this time with time nearly up they took the shot a goal, unfortunately and much to the relief of the visitors the kick was missed and the referee called a halt to proceedings with both teams taking a share of the points.