Defensive woes see Thirds lose to table toppers Bangor Seconds

Banbridge Thirds 3

Thursday, 6th November 2014, 11:37 am

Bangor Seconds 6

Banbridge Thirds entertained table toppers Bangor Seconds, who had a hundred percent record having won their previous six games.

Banbridge welcomed Lee Groves and Ben McConnell into the squad and the return of Gary Dean.

Bann dictated the early play and were unlucky not to take the lead after they failed to convert a series of short corners with Luke Woods missing from close range.

Scott and Dean were causing Bangor problems with McKnight managing to find both strikers on a regular basis.

It was Bann who opened the scoring after a strong run from Dean found himself with only the Bangor keeper to beat and he simply flicked the ball over the onrushing keeper.

Bennington, who had been a rock at the back for Bann had to leave the field of play after being struck by the ball above the eye which later required six stitches.

With Bann having to reorganise their defence, Bangor fought their way back into the game but were unable to convert a couple of short corners towards the end of the first half.

Bann failed to settle in the second half and it didn’t take long for Bangor to equalise when they converted their first short corner of the second half.

Bangor were now in the ascendency and took the lead from open play when a Bangor forward scored from close range.

Bangor then converted two further short corners to take a commanding lead.

Bann managed to pull a goal back when a short corner variation was played to Scott whose first time shot hit a Bangor defender on the line and Bann were awarded a penalty flick, which Anderson duly converted.

Both sides exchanged goals with Dean finishing high for Bann after good play by Brown and Bangor scored their sixth with only minutes left in the game.

Bann will reflect on a good first half performance but will know they have to tighten up at the back if they want to compete with the top sides in the division.

The Thirds have a week off after no scheduled fixtures for Saturday November 8.