Davenport and Gibson dig deep for Slane

MONEYSLANE were in action at the weekend against Bourneview at Cheney Park, Banbridge with an earlier kick off time.

Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 8:00 am

Davenport slipped the ball inside to Kerr who split the defence with an inch perfect pass playing in Whitten on the right who hit just over the top.

Slane were playing the ball out from defence with confidence and finesse, Weir squared to Marks, he found Bingham in midfield and picked out Gibson’s run and the latter hammered it on target but the keeper was well placed to save.

On the quarter hour the visitors had their first clear cut chance when they had a shot charged down and the rebound was well saved by Fry between the Slane posts.

Twenty minutes in and Slane opened the score with a delightful well worked goal. Marks controlled at centre back and found Kerr lurking in midfield; Kerr rounded his marker with ease and slipped in Davenport who curled around the advancing keeper and into the bottom corner.

Again Fry was on hand to hold well from a stinger from 20 yards out, the ball was distributed to Weir who raced up the line and found G Bingham and he hit just wide.

Slane were playing some delightful football through the middle of the big pitch at Cheney, Moore and Whitten combined and the ball was tossed into the path of Gibson who used his speed to round the challenge and hammered from outside the box just wide of the target.

With five to go to the break disaster for Slane when the referee decided that Moore had unfairly tackled the Bourneview player and he held up the red card giving him his marching orders.

The visitors pushed Slane deep into their own half for the first five minutes of the second half but a well organised sturdy defence of Weir, Porter, Boyd and Marks were not to be broken down.

Fry held well from a shot from distance. He found Weir wide on the right and he lobbed into the feet of Whitten up the flank, Whitten stepped inside his marker and fired over a cross field ball to Davenport who controlled and hit wide of the target.

On the hour Slane doubled their lead, a long clearance by Fry was misjudged by the Bourneview defender and Gibson raced in behind him and hit his shot on target. The keeper’s outstretched arm saved but Gibson followed in to convert the rebound, much to the delight of all his team mates, manager and supporters up the line.

Neil McCullough made some changes bring on the fresh legs of Neil Cochrane, Neil Bingham and Kyle Scott. Scott hit wide with his first attempt at goal and Cochrane made it clear he was slotted into midfield to thwart any attacking moves with his hard hitting tackles.

N Bingham found Whitten inside and he picked out G Bingham in the corner. He played it into the feet of Whitten inside the penalty area, a rash tackle left Whitten on his rear and the referee pointed to the spot. Gareth Bingham stepped up bug hit his kick inches wide of the upright.

Overall a pleasing result for Slane who dug deep when they had to. Player of the match was awarded to Gareth Bingham

Team: Fry, Weir, Porter, Boyd, Whitten, Moore, Kerr, Davenport, Bingham, Gibson, Scott, Shilliday, Bingham, Cochrane.