Bowls: Dunbarton continue 100% home record to reach semis

Dunbarton were in action recently in the Irish Senior Cup quarter final against Portrush.
Dunbarton were in action recently in the Irish Senior Cup quarter final against Portrush.

Dunbarton bullied their way into the final four of the Irish Senior Cup on Saturday, mauling Portrush to set up a asemi-final tie with old rivals Belmont.

Having struggled to defeat the men from the North Coast at the same stage in Gilford two years ago, there was no repeat of the close encounter that day. The locals simply overpowered their rivals, building up an early advantage and never looking back.

On some of the rinks, hands were even shaken with ends remaining as the visitors threw in the towel. Conor McCartan’s four were the biggest winners on the day with a thumping 30-13 win. Myles Greenfield’s four claimed a facile 26-12 success while DJ Wilson’s quartet pitched in with a fine 23-13 victory. Only Andy Hughes’ rink tasted defeat, albeit by just three shots.

Rink 1 R McElroy, T Bell, S Adamson, A Hughes down 16-19

Andy’s rink started well and by the midpoint held a six shot lead at 10-4. Over the second half, however, the away rink battled well, even moved ahead at 11-13 and stayed ahead to win by three. A disappointing defeat for Andy and his reliable rink.

Rink 2 C Trainor, G Moore, G McElroy, C McCartan up 30-13

Conor and his front three got off to a flyer and never looked back. An early 9-1 lead was extended to 14-4 at the midpoint and a count of five on end 15 saw the home advantage extended to 20 shots. Without playing the full 21 ends, the homesters finished ahead by 17 shots.

Rink 3 C Mulholland, J Magennis, M Trainor, M Greenfield up 26-12

Similarly to the other middle rink, Myles’ four started like a house on fire. By halfway their lead was 15-4 and from thereonin it was plain sailing. At the finish the Gilford lead was 14 shots.

Rink 4 J Moffatt, M Merritt, P Convery, DJ Wilson up 23-13

DJ’s four were up against Irish team captain I McClure who had recently returned from Commonwealth Games duty. The home quartet started well and led 5-3 after five ends. By the ten ends mark, the home side were still in front albeit by just a shot. Eventually, a superb count of six on end 16 finished this game as a contest. With three ends remaining the men from the North Coast shook hands, ten shots in arrears.

The details of the semi-final are yet to be released.