Academy continue winning run in McCullough Cup

The Banbridge Academy 1st XI faced Sullivan Upper in the third game of the McCullough Cup group stage last Wednesday.

Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 5:55 pm
Game 3 in Group A of the McCullough Cup: Banbridge Academy v Sullivan Upper © Edward Byrne Photography INBL1441-215EB

The weather highlighted the tense atmosphere at what could possibly have been the group decider but it was one Bann came through easily, winning 7-0.

However, Academy seemed enthusiastic and this showed during their intense warm-up. The early stages of the game saw the benefits of this warm-up as early chances fell to Robert Scott and David Armstrong with the Sullivan keeper denying their efforts.

Academy, however, did not get put down by this inspired keeper but instead pushed for more, the reward soon came with Sam Farson firing the ball into the bottom corner after a well performed midfield move.

Game 3 in Group A of the McCullough Cup: Banbridge Academy v Sullivan Upper © Edward Byrne Photography INBL1441-218EB

The pressure continued from the Academy and with their high physical tempo came goals. The best of the afternoon from Aaron Reid with a lovely flick past the keeper, set up by a one two pass from Robert Scott. This assist was then returned by Aaron Reid when Robert Scott deflected the ball at the back post moments later to wrap it up.

Another great step forward in this group and yet another clean sheet. Goal scorers; Peter McKnight x2, Sam Farson x2, Johnny McKee, Robert Scott and Aaron Reid.

Academy v Bangor

The Academy picked up from there on Saturday when they stormed to a 10-0 victory over Bangor.

The game started with a high tempo with Bann in control in the early stages. Bann got off the mark early with some great passing play resulting in Sam Farson neatly slipping the ball past the Bangor keeper.

The tempo did not drop, however, and Bann continued applying pressure. Another fast flowing passing move resulted in another slick goal, this time finished by Robbie Scott.

Aaron Reid then made the score 3-0 with a fine strike into the bottom corner.

Bann stepped up a gear and scored another four goals in five minutes, with Johnny McKee launching a ball into the side of the net, Sam Farson getting his second of the game, Josh Rowe also finding the backboard and 3rd Year Mark Barlow scoring his first senior goal, with his first touch on his debut. The first half ended 7-0.

Bann continued their good form with David Armstrong scoring a neat dragflick. Despite a few worrying Bangor attacks the back four of Matthew Hurst, Andrew Bennington, Sam Green and Josh Rowe stood firm. Peter McKnight scored after capitalising from a good shot which was saved from Timmy Watt. Robbie Scott then took the goal tally to double figures with a well placed finished. The Match ended 10-0 and The Academy now look to continue their spectacular form against Cookstown on Wednesday in their last match before they travel to Cork for the All Irelands.