Toaster believed to have caused flat fire at Brookfield Avenue in Banbridge

A toaster is believed to have been the cause of a fire at a flat at Brookfield Avenue in Banbridge, on Thursday afternoon.

A 50-year-old man was treated by firefighters when they arrived at the scene around 4pm using a Microvent.

The householder was also checked over by ambulance personnel at the scene.

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) is urging people to put fire safety first this Christmas. Over the Christmas period last year fire crews responded to 1,096 emergency incidents across NI.