Threatened to kill his brother

Banbridge court has heard how a drunk man phoned police to say that he was going to kill his brother.

Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 6:07 am

And when police interviewed him when he was sober he said he was going to ‘put him in the ground’.

Michael Gerard Farrell, (39) whose address was given as Bann Street, Portadown, admitted making a threat to a police officer to kill his brother on August 28 this year and also making a threat to kill to his brother.

He was sentenced to five months in prison and ordered to pay a £25 offender’s levy.

The court heard that just before midnight police received a 999 call from the defendant saying he was going to kill his brother.

Farrell was intoxicated and said he was going to travel to England and kill his brother due to an internal family dispute. Police spoke to him again when he sobered up and after he was cautioned he said he was going ‘to shoot or stab him’ and whether it took him 10 or 20 years he was ‘going to put him in the ground’.

He also said that if his brother did not come to Northern Ireland he would go to England.

The case had been adjourned from a previous court for a pre-sentence report and District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said he had read the report and the defendant’s record was quite concerning.

A barrister representing Farrell said that while the circumstances were sinister the report indicated that he was remorseful and since this incident had no contact with his brother.

He added that his client was in breach of a Crown Court suspended sentence.

The solicitor said Farrell had significant mental health issues and had offences in South Down but had taken himself away from that area.

He added that because of Farrell’s abuse of alcohol he was not considered suitable for probation and he would not agree to community service. District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said the offences crossed the custody threshold and the sentence should be immediate custody.

Imposing the five months sentence he also ordered Farrell should be returned in custody to Newry Crown Court in relation to the suspended sentence.

Later in the court an application was made for bail to appeal against the sentence.

Judge Bates sent bail at £250 but refused to release Farrell on bail pending appeal.