Cooker causes house fire

Share this article

A 17-year-old girl had oxygen therapy administered and suffered shock following an accidental fire at a house in Banbridge, last Sunday.

The blaze was caused when a cooker went on fire around 3.45pm at a house at Edenderry Park.

Fire appliances from Banbridge and Lurgan stations responded to the scene at the terrace house.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to deal with the fire.

Firefighters administered oxygen therapy to the teenager who suffered shock.

She was taken to hospital by ambulance.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Noone else was injured.

Fire crews would encourage anyone who is involved in the fire to nkow their escape route.

Northern Ireland, in terms of risk of death from fire, is one of the safest places to live - 98% of people already have a smoke alarm in their home,