Banbridge among best for recycling

Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Council is among the best for recycling and reducing landfill waste according to the latest Northern Ireland Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics Report.

Thursday, 29th October 2015, 11:32 am

The report, which is the first release of waste data collected on an 11 council basis, said that ABC Council prepared 51.8% of household waste for reuse, dry recycling and composting.

The ABC Council was also among the higest in waste enegry recovery rate with 26.1% of waste going towards energy recovery.

Additionally, the ABC Council recorded the lowest household landfill rate at 21.4% at just over half the Northern Ireland rate of 40.1%.

There were 55,301 tonnes of biodegradable LAC municipal waste sent to landfill between April to June 2015.

This was 2.9% more than the 53,736 tonnes collected during the same period last year. It equated to one-fifth of the Northern Ireland Landfill Allowance Scheme allocation for 2015/16.

Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon used the lowest share of its annual allocation at just under one-tenth (9.3%)

Northern Ireland councils collected 254 thousand tonnes of LAC municipal waste.

This was a 1.4% decrease on the arisings collected during the same three months of 2014.

Household waste accounted for the majority (89%) of total arisings with the remaining 11% being non household waste.

This was the first quarter-on-quarter decrease in LAC municipal waste arisings in two years.

An annual report with fully validated figures for 2014/15 is scheduled for 26 November 2015.