THROUGH THE ARCHIVES: New minister installed at Cushendall and Carnlough

From the News Letter, January 30, 1920

Saturday, 30th January 2021, 6:00 am

Members of the Ballymena Presbytery had attended the Presbyterian Church at Cushendall to witness the installation of the Reverend W H McCracken, BA, BD, as their new minister.

The Rev McCracken has previously belonged to the Canadian Church and had been received into the membership of the General Assembly at their meeting in June 1919.

The installation was divided into two parts, noted the News Letter.

Picture: Paul L/geograph.org.uk

The first at Cushendall where representatives of the congregation listened to a sermon preached by the Moderator of the Presbytery, the Reverend A Watson.

“The Rev Mr McCracken was set apart to work of the ministry in the customary manner,” the correspondent wrote.

The Presbytery then moved to Carnlough.

The paper observed: “Here there was a large and representative congregation, and after devotional exercises the Reverend Walter Patterson, First Portglenone, preached. The Reverend A Patton, Cloughwater, delivered the charge after which Mr McCracken was installed. The Reverend Richard Hall, BD, Clough, offered up the installation prayer.”

The newly-installed minister said that he owed a debt of gratitude the Reverend McIlroy of the Newry Presbytery for coming to Carnlough to wish him God-speed but he added that he was sorry that his friend the Reverend Mr Hanna of Dublin has missed the train and thus has been unable to attend.

To the Ballymena Presbytery and especially the Rev Andrew Patton, the convenor of the vacancy, he also expressed his sense of appreciation.